Creamy Cucumber-Avocado Soup | Recipe | Elegant Dinner Party Menu

This is one of Mr. Stranded's favorite soups that I make.  There are so many cucumber soup recipes out there, but this one is creamy without adding any dairy.  I originally was turned onto the concept of a cucumber-avocado soup by EatingWell.com.  It's simple, healthy and delicious. 

This picture does not do the soup justice.  It has a beautiful, bright green color and the cucumber slices are a lovely decoration.  Try it!  You won't be disappointed.

Creamy Cucumber-Avocado Soup Recipe
Yields: 4 servings

1 Tbsp Olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, diced
1 Tbsp lemon juice
4 c peeled, seeded and thinly sliced cucumbers, divided (about 2 large cucumbers)
1-1/2 c less-sodium chicken broth
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1 avocado, sliced
¼ c chopped fresh parsley
½ c low-fat plain or Greek yogurt

1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over Medium-High heat.  Add garlic and onion; stir occasionally, until tender and translucent.
2.  Add lemon juice and cook 1 minute
3.  Add 3-3/4 c cucumber slices, broth, salt, pepper and cayenne; bring to a simmer
4.  Reduce heat and cook at a gentle simmer until the cucumbers are soft, 6 to 8 minutes
5. Transfer the soup to a blender.  Add avocado and parsley; blend on low speed until smooth (remove clear center plastic cap of lid and cover hole loosely with a towel.  This will allow hot steam to escape while blending.)
6.  Stir in yogurt
7.  Serve the soup warm or refrigerate and serve it chilled
8.  Just before serving, garnish with the sliced cucumbers and more parsley

3 comments:

Big Anthony said... [Reply]

I love this recipe. I have just made it, and I cannot wait to serve a batch to those in my village. I hope Stega Nona does not mind that I used her pot...

Lalla said... [Reply]

This will now become my 'company soup'. The avocado gave it a nice smooth consistency and added a little bulk to the otherwise watery cucumber soup. It also looked very elegant!

Lalla

Anonymous said... [Reply]

Thanks for this recipe. I prepared it for our Christmas dinner. I needed a soup I could serve cold for my daughter who just had a tonsillectomy. A favourite of all. It will be back on our table again soon.