Stufatino Recipe | Recipe | Italian for Stew

My grandmother used to make a stew that was to die-for.  The meat was melt-in-your-mouth tender and the sauce was bread-dipping good.  She always said the secret to her cooking was cooking everything slowly.  This stew is no exception.

I wouldn't say this is an exact replica of my grandmother's stufatino, but it's still pretty good.  It pairs well with polenta and is the perfect meal on a cold night. 

(By the way - I'm still working on my camera skills.  Shooting food is harder than I thought!)

Pork Shoulder Stufatino (Stew)
Yields: 3 servings

2 lb pork shoulder (Boston Butt), cut into 1-inch cubes
2 Tbsp olive oil
Flour for dredging
2 carrots, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 medium onion, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1 small can crushed tomatoes
1/2 c dry white wine
1 c chicken broth
Salt and pepper

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Pat dry the pork.  Season with salt and pepper.  Dredge in flour.  Shake off excess.
3. Heat oil in a large oven-proof saute pan until smoking.  Add pork and brown on all sides.  Remove from pan and set aside.
4. In the same pan, saute onion and garlic until translucent.  Add carrots, celery and a bit of salt.  Saute until vegetables give off water.  Stir in tomoto paste.  Add white wine and bring to a boil.
5. Return pork to pan.  Add crushed tomatoes and chicken broth.  Bring to a boil.  Cover pan and place in pre-heated oven for 1-1/2 hours.
6. Remove from oven and serve over polenta

2 comments:

Where's the beef? said... [Reply]

Can this delicious recipe be substituted for beef instead of pork? It reminds me of just the way my grandmother made it!

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

Beef can absolutely be substituted. If I remember correctly, my grandmother used beef as well. I happened to have pork shoulder on hand, but any tough meat would work with this recipe.