Sometimes the best recipes come out of random ingredients laying around. That was the case today. I came up with this chicken recipe based on what I had in the fridge and boy did it come out good!
Stuffed Chicken Breast with Spinach and Cottage Cheese Recipe
(makes 4 servings)
2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 bag of baby spinach, approx 5 oz
1 lemon, zested
Handful of chopped parsley
3 Tbsp cottage cheese
1 egg, beaten
1 c bread crumbs
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. In a large skillet over medium heat, saute onion until translucent, approx 4 minutes
3. Add garlic, lemon zest and parsley and saute for 1 minute
4. Add spinach and saute until wilted. Remove from heat.
5. Add cottage cheese to spinach and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Slice chicken breasts through the middle, essentially keeping the width but making it a thinner cutlet. Place between plastic bag or plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet to make them thinner and of equal thickness.
7. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
8. Place 2-3 Tbsp of the spinach mixture onto each chicken breast and roll-up jelly-roll style starting at one end. Secure all around with toothpicks.
9. Dip the chicken breast in the beaten egg and then coat with breadcrumbs.
10. Place chicken breasts into a baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake for 50 minutes until chicken is no longer pink inside.