Cauliflower "Mashed Potatoes" | Recipe | Pureed Cauliflower

When my best friend and I were living together in Manhattan fresh out of school, Monday night was our "date night" with each other.  I would cook dinner and we'd spend the night gabbing and catching up.  May seem silly to have a date night with your roommate, but life gets busy in Manhattan!

I wouldn't say she's a picky eater, but we always did better when I would tell her what I had cooked after she had eaten it.  One night I made cauliflower "mashed potatoes" and she loved it!  So-much-so, when she came to visit Mr. Stranded and me for the first time in Cleveland, she requested I make the cauliflower "mashed potatoes."

The cauliflower will look just like mashed potatoes, but will have a thinner consistency.  While there isn't any sweet ingredient, it smells almost like rice pudding and has a slightly sweet flavor.  Feel free to substitute soy milk with regular milk.

Cauliflower "Mashed Potatoes" Recipe
Yields: 2-4 servings

1/2 head cauliflower, cored and separated into florets
2 cloves garlic
1 c soy milk
1/2 c heavy cream
2-1/2 c water
Salt and Pepper

1. Combine first five ingredients in a large pot.  Bring to a boil; lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes, until cauliflower is fork-tender.  (Be careful not to let your liquid boil over.  It won't ruin your recipe, but it will be a pain cleaning the stove later.)
2. Using a slotted spoon, transfer cauliflower to a blender and puree.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Now tell me this doesn't look like mashed potatoes!


0 comments: