Turkey Meatloaf | Recipe | Weeknight Dinner

I'll be honest here and say that my mom never made meatloaf growing up, so as an adult, I didn't like it.  Mr. Stranded though, loves meatloaf and has convinced me to make it on occasion.  I have found that while I still don't like ground beef meatloaf, turkey meatloaf can be tasty and moist, and it's much healthier than its ground beef counterpart.  Turkey meatloaf is so easy to make, it's almost fool proof.

Turkey Meatloaf Recipe
Yields: 2-4 servings

1 lb ground turkey
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium yellow onion
1 medium carrot
1 medium celery rib
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp Worchestershire Sauce
1 tsp Herbs de Provence or thyme
1 egg, beaten
1/3 c unseasoned bread crumbs
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 c ketchup

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Using a food processor, finely chop onion, carrot, and celery.  Warm olive oil in a medium non-stick skillet over Medium heat; add onion mixture and saute 5 minutes or until soft.  Add garlic, Worchestershire sauce and Herbs de Provence.  Stir one minute.  Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
3. Combine turkey, vegetable mixture, egg, bread crumbs, salt and pepper.  Mix well using your hands.  On a foil-lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray, form turkey mixture into a small, oval loaf.
4. Pour ketchup on top of turkey loaf.  Using a basting or pastry brush, spread ketchup evenly over loaf.  Use more ketchup if needed.
5. Bake for 1 hour or until an meat thermometer registers 170 degrees F.

1 comments:

Nicole said... [Reply]

My mom's meatloaf tastes like a giant meatball with mozzarella melted in the middle. I love it, especially cold with some ketchup...

I can't wait to try this alternative as well!