Beets are sweet and delicious. I never understand those, like Mr. Stranded, who don't like beets. This low-calorie vegetable has a natural sweetness and needs very few ingredients to make a delicious salad.
A few notes:
- Beets will turn everything they touch bright pink. So to give this salad a little color, add a Tbsp of parsley right before serving.
- Once cooked, the skins of beets will rub off easily. Just use your thumbs to remove skins.
- Wash your hands well and immediately clean surfaces that beets have touched. Beet juice stains, so wash garments immediately should beets touch fabrics.
- This is another vegetable that benefits from the use of a pressure cooker. I use the Fagor Futuro Model. If you don't have a pressure cooker, boil beets until tender, about 1 hour, depending on size and freshness.
Beet and Caper Salad
Yields: 4-6 servings
1/4 lb beets, about 3 large
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp minced onion
1 Tbsp capers
2 Tbsp fresh chopped parsley, divided
salt and pepper
1. In a pressure cook, combine beets and 2 c water. Turn element on High; when pressure builds, lower heat to Medium-Low and let cook for 20 minutes. Use quick-release method to release pressure. Carefully open pressure cooker directing the pot away for you. Rinse beets under cold water and peel off skin with your hands.
2. Trim off tops and bottom of beets. Cut beets in half lengthwise; lay flat and slice into 1/4" thick vertical slices.
3. Whisk together oil and vinegar. Set aside. Place beets in a large bowl. Add onions, capers, 1 Tbsp parsley and vinaigrette. Toss well to combine. Taste; season with salt and pepper. Can be made in advance. Cover well with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
4. Before serving, add remaining Tbsp of parsley and toss well.