Chicken and Strawberry Spinach Salad | Recipe | Spinach with Strawberries

The snow has finally melted and we're able to see our grass again.  It's a pathetic sight really - it's soggy, patchy, desperately needs thatching (or so I've been told) and I will confess we have the ugliest lawn on the block.  In my defense, I'm from NYC.  What on earth do I know about lawn maintenance?!  I keep seeing these Home Depot commercials that suggest we should've fertilized our grass in the Fall.  Oops!  Maybe if we had, we wouldn't be the embarrassment of the block.

To give you an example, here's a picture of our neighbor's lawn:


And one of ours (what is that, moss?):


Ugly property or not, the sight of grass and lack of snow for one solid week has brought a pep to my step and a song to my heart.  I'm already day-dreaming of runs around the reservoir, bike rides in the MetroParks, BBQ dinners and fresh, ripe produce.  Is it weird that I day-dream of fruits and vegetables???  What can I say?  I really love food!  Mr. Stranded told me not long ago that for the amount of food I eat, I should weigh about 300 lbs.  (He was trying to make a point that I have a high metabolism.)  Thanks, honey!  You certainly have a way with words!! ;)
So with these small signs of Spring, I was no longer craving a hearty, soul-warming meal, but a nice, big salad for lunch.  Unfortunately, the only produce that even looked worthwhile were the strawberries, but lucky for us, they were fantastically sweet and were perfect in the spinach salad.


Spinach Salad with Strawberries and Chicken Recipe
Yields: 2 entree-sized portions

2 chicken breasts, poached
poultry seasoning
1 bay leaf
2 ribs celery, chopped
16 oz chicken broth
1 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp red vinegar
1 Tbsp water
2 Tbsp olive oil
8 c baby spinach
2 c strawberries, quartered
1/3 c red onion, sliced
2 Tbsp pecans
1/2 c crumbled blue cheese
salt and pepper

To Poach Chicken
1. Season chicken breast on both sides with salt, pepper and poultry seasoning.  Place in the bottom of a medium pot.  Cover chicken with broth until just barely covered.  Add celery and bay leaf.
2. Bring to a boil; Immediately reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes with cover slightly off center.
3. Remove from heat and fit cover tightly over pot.  Let sit for 15 minutes.
4. Remove chicken from poaching liquid.  Chicken should be cooked through with no signs of pink.  Shred chicken and let cool.  Discard poaching liquid.

To Make Dressing
1. Whisk together sugar, vinegar, water, oil, 1/8 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper.  Set aside.

To Make Salad
1. Combine spinach, strawberries, red onion, pecans, blue cheese and chicken.  Pour dressing over salad and toss well to combine.

2 comments:

Miss T said... [Reply]

Who would have thought? chicken and strawberries? look LUSH! what is the ingredient just to the right and below the pecan? is it craisin? Its 5am here and I want this for breakfast.

Thanks again for your lovely comment - I have absolutley no idea what Im doing with the camera, I believe the technique is called 'hope for the best'. I've been perusing your craft pursuits - where do I get instructions for the bows you made? I lurve them, I want to make leopard ones.
T x

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

Hi Miss T! Haha. I know that technique well! Thanks for all of YOUR wonderful comments! I look forward to them each day. I was just thinking of you as I preped a rack of lamb for tomorrow's pre-Easter Party. I was stumped on what to do with the fat and thought, "I should ask Miss T! Australians eat lots of lamb!"

As for the salad, that thing to the right/below the pecan is nothing other than an oldly cut strawberry. Mr. S said this is one of his favorite salads. I hope you try it!

The bow tutorial I found at http://7layerstudio.typepad.com/7_layer_studio/2008/07/bow-tutorial.html. If you do make a leopard bow, I want to see it!!