Easy Bruschetta | Recipe | Bruschetta on Baguette


All my relatives have lush vegetable gardens.  As a kid, I used to walk up and down the rows picking vegetables off the vine and eating them.  When I'd reach the cherry tomatoes, I would stop and set up camp for a while.  I'd pick them off one-by-one and pop them right in my mouth.  There's a very distinct smell to tomato that's been picked off the vine.  It may be the vine itself and not the tomato, but either way, I love it.  When I smell that vine smell, I know the tomato will be a sweet delight.  The flavor can not be matched by a typical store bought tomato.  Markets are selling vine-ripened tomatoes more regularly.  We do not have a vegetable garden in Cleveland, so I rely on the market bought vine-ripened tomatoes to make bruschetta.  To make amazing bruschetta, you must use vine-ripened tomatoes.

Bruschetta is extremely easy to make, but the proportions need to be right.  You don't want too much of any one ingredient.  While I mentioned cherry tomatoes above, a larger tomato variety such as Roma, Plum, or Beefsteak tomatoes is needed for this recipe.

You can serve bruscetta in a large bowl as a dip or as individual bites on toasted baguette slices.  Either way, I suggest serving it along with toasted baguette slices.  They pair incredibly well together.  The trick is to brush both sides of the baguette slices with olive oil.  It enhances the flavor and allows the bruschetta juices to be absorbed into the bread. 

Easy Bruschetta Recipe
Yields: 2 cups

2 lbs vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded and chopped
2 Tbsp red onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch basil, chopped (about 1/4 c) + more for garnish
6 Tbsp olive oil, divided
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
Italian baguette

1. Combine tomatoes, red onion, garlic and basil.  Add 4 Tbsp oil and toss well to combine.  Season with salt and pepper.  Taste and adjust seasoning accordingly.
2. Cut Italian baguette into 1/4" thick slices at a diagonal.  Brush both sides with remaining oil.  Arrange on a cookie sheet and place in the broiler, 3-4 minutes or until just slightly toasted.  Allow toast to cool 5-10 minutes.
3. Place about 1 Tbsp bruschetta on top of toasts.  Insert one small piece of basil into bruschetta for garnish.

0 comments: