Eggs Florentine with Avocado and Tomato | Recipe | Breakfast

Being a little sister to older brothers has its perks.  With a large age difference between one and a small age difference with the other, I had the best of both worlds.  Oldest (Big Big) brother would spoil me rotten by taking me to Yankees games, Broadway shows, introducing me to my very first Auntie Anne's pretzel and treating me to dinners.  Big Big even bought me beautiful pearl earrings with his first pay check - and I still wear those earrings every, single day.

My older brother (Little Big) is closer to my age and basically my best friend.  We did everything together and I always say he was my biggest fan - going to every, single one of my piano recitals/events, cheering the loudest at any of my sports games...basically making me feel like I could conquer the world.  And being a good big brother, he taught me everything he knew from punting a soccer ball to mastering the math tricks on the GRE exam.  And if you think I'm a good cook, you should see what my brother can do!

What does this have to do with Eggs Florentine?  I had gone to visit Big Little at his college and Big Big lived 15 minutes away.  Big Big, of course, took us to a fancy schmancy restaurant for brunch.  I saw "Eggs Florentine" on the menu and didn't have a clue what it was.  So my brothers encouraged me to give it a try.  I've been in love ever since.  And whenever I eat Eggs Florentine, I think of that brunch and how much I miss being near my brothers. 

Poached eggs require zero fats to cook and are essentially healthy.  Served with a bread and spinach, what's not to like?  I jazz mine up a bit with a slice of avocado and fresh tomato. 

See How to Poach an Egg Tutorial for tips and tricks.

Eggs Florentine with Avocado and Tomato
Yields: 4 servings

4 eggs
4 tsp white vinegar
1/2 Tbsp olive oil
8 c baby spinach leaves
4 thick Italian bread slices, cut at a diagonal and toasted
1 tomato, sliced into 1/8" rounds
2 avocados, sliced into 8 equal slices
Hollandaise Sauce (click here for recipe)
2 Tbsp chopped chives

1. Fill a large pot with water.  Bring water to just before simmering.  Turn down heat and stir water with a spatula.  Add white vinegar and stir.  Crack eggs into individual ramekins or bowls.  Slowly lower eggs into water, one by one.  Let cook 3-4 minutes, until whites are set and yolks are soft.  Remove from water, using a slotted spoon and let drain on a paper towel.
2. In the meantime, heat oil in a medium non-stick skillet over Medium heat.  Add spinach leaves and toss occasionally, until wilted.  Remove from heat.
3. Layer one slice bread, some spinach, 1 tomato slice, 2 avocado slices, and poached egg.  Drizzle 2 Tbsp Hollandaise Sauce over Eggs Florentine.  Garnish with chopped chives.

MAKE-AHEAD TIPS: If preparing Eggs Florentine for a large crowd, eggs can be made a day in advance.  Poach eggs for 2-3 minutes, place in an ice-bath, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.  When ready to use, place in hot water for 1-2 minutes.

2 comments:

Tracy Wood said... [Reply]

Beautiful, beautiful eggs! I love that you served them on the nice china plate. We eat eggs often for dinner here at our house. Nice to find you here on the blogosphere..... :)

Lalla said... [Reply]

The recipe looks lovely and seems easy to do. I enjoyed reading about your relationship with your brothers. You're very lucky indeed.