Homemade Graham Crackers | Recipe | Bunny Graham Crackers

This is Step 2 for our Easter favors.  So as of today we have homemade marshmallows and homemade graham crackers.  Are you piecing it together yet?  We're making bunny s'mores!  Click here for bunny s'mores recipe.

The recipe I was following did not have enough liquid to form a dough and it was just a crumbly mess.  I adapted and incorporated my changes in the recipe below.  I really like them, although I feel I should warn you that they are not terribly sweet.  If you're making these for kids and want sweeter graham crackers, sprinkle with sugar before baking, add more honey or more brown sugar from the start.

I will be dipping these graham crackers in chocolate, so the less sweet option was preferable for my needs.  We're almost at the conclusion of this project - just another day or two!

Homemade Bunny Graham Crackers Recipe
Yields: approx 3 dozen 3" cookies

2 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 c unsalted butter, frozen and cut into small cubes
1/2 c brown sugar, packed
1/4 c honey
7-8 Tbsp whole milk
Turbinado sugar (optional)
cookie cutter of desired shape, approx 3" in size

1. In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade, mix together flours, salt and cinnamon until combined.  Add butter and pulse a few times until it is crumbly or is the consistency of a coarse meal.
2. In a separate bowl, mix together honey and milk.  Add it to the food processor and pulse a few times to form a dough.  It should sticky and loosely formed.
3. Break dough into two balls and wrap each in a sheet of plastic wrap.  Push down a little on the plastic wrap to form a disk.  Place in the refrigerator for approx 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Place rack in the center of oven and let oven stand at 350 for 30 minutes.  Lightly flour a working surface with wheat flour.  Remove one disk from the refrigerator and roll out to a 1/8" thickness.  Using a cookie cutter lightly dipped in wheat flour, cut out as many cut-outs as possible and place on a baking sheet lined with Silpat.  Scraps can be re-refrigerated a re-rolled.  Repeat with second disk.  If desired, sprinkle with Turbinado sugar.  You will likely need to do this in batches.
5. Place baking sheet in the oven and bake for 7 minutes.  Flip cookies and continue baking for an additional 5-6 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and let the crackers sit for 2 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.  Let cool completely.  Store in an airtight container for 1-2 weeks.

3 comments:

Miss T said... [Reply]

are these actual Graham Crackers? I have no idea what a graham cracker is...plus I can see the end result on my blog roll but not on your page????? Thanks for your lovely comment too - I have similar issues with paper products in my house but thats a whole other story :)
T x

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

Hi Miss T! Yes, these are actual Graham Crackers, but they are normally rectangular and a bit sweeter. While they're called crackers, I'd say they more resemble a tea biscuit. They are wonderful for making pie crusts, especially for cheese cakes!

You caught my snafu! I uploaded pictures of the final product earlier and accidentally published the post before I had finished writing it. I'll finish it up tonight and repost.

Miss T said... [Reply]

oops - yes, I have done that before. I didnt realise until someone commented and I thought "what? did I post that?" yikes. Never mind - looking forward to it!
Trish
x