Lemon Curd | Recipe | Tart Lemon Spread


One of my mom's Top 10 survival items would be lemon.  She likes lemon and lots of them.  I'd be surprised if she had any enamel left of her teeth - she eats them like oranges.  You won't find a single ice cube in any of her beverages, but you will find about four lemon wedges.  If we're out to dinner, she inevitably asks for more.  I always tease that she's a part of some secret "Lemon Society."

I made lemon curd today to go along with some scones.  Boy, it came out delicious!  I want to can it and ship it to my mom.  But according to the USDA website, it is not recommended to can anything with eggs.  So, mom, you'll need to visit me in Cleveland within the next three months.  That's how long this lemon curd will last in my freezer.

I prefer a smoother lemon curd, so I add the zest upfront and strain it out later.  For an extra lemony flavor, include the lemon pulp, along with the juice and zest, into the cooking mixture.  It will be strained out along with the zest.

I couldn't find something cute to decorate the jar today, but don't be surprised if you see a replacement picture soon.  Maybe cute "Mrs. Stranded's Lemon Curd" labels...Ideas are welcomed!

Lemon Curd Recipe
Yields: 1 pint

6 egg yolks
1 c sugar
3 lemons
1 stick unsalted butter, cut into small pieces

1. Zest lemons and reserve in a small bowl.  Juice lemons into the bowl.  Scoop out and pulp and place in the bowl.  Set aside.
2. Bring water in a double-broiler to a simmer.  In the top insert of the double-broiler, whisk together egg yolks and sugar until combined.  Add reserved lemon zest/juice/pulp to the sugar mixture.  Mix constantly using a wooden spoon, 15-20 minutes, until mixture thickens and coats the back of the spoon.  To test, run your finger along the back of the spoon.  If a line remains on the back of the spoon, it's done.
3. Add butter and stir until melted.
4. Remove from heat.  Pour lemon curd through a fine mesh sieve into a medium bowl.  Using a rubber spatula, push down on what remains in the sieve.
5. Pour lemon curd into 1/2 pint mason jars, leaving a 1/2" head-space.  Can be refrigerated for 3 weeks or frozen for 3 months.

2 comments:

Tracy Wood said... [Reply]

Beautiful color!

Mamma said... [Reply]

I'm salivating just looking at that tart, creamy jar. As you know, I always keep plenty of lemons handy. They're ready for you to make a batch when you come home. -Mamma