My Culinary Mis-Adventure | Non-Recipe | Failed Lenten Dinner

There's a restaurant in Manhattan, Soba Nippon, that has a fabulous cold soba noodle salad.  I thought I could use my "culinary expertise" to mimic the salad.  Not living in NYC anymore, keep in mind that I don't eat this salad regularly.  Excuses or not, any cooking talent that I may have failed me miserably.  Tonight's dinner was BY FAR the worst meal I have ever made!!!

I tried to make "soba tsuyu,"  which is a type of dressing so-to-speak, made of fish stock, mirin and soy sauce.  I'm pretty sure my version of soba tsuyu tasted the way it was supposed to, but clearly soba tsuyu is not what Soba Nippon uses for their dressing.  Mr. Stranded suggested I leave Japanese cooking to the Japanese.  Well, I'm not sure I've completely given up yet, but tonight's dinner was a bust.  So-much-so, I'm not posting the recipe.

Mr. Stranded salvaged the night by getting us some cupcakes.  I don't normally keep sweets around the house, so the cupcakes were a nice treat.

2 comments:

Miss T said... [Reply]

I had a distater today too! I am having guests for dinner - a mexican fiesta of sorts and I made mexican chocolate cake - I cut the top off it to get it into nice shape and tasted it. I forgot to put sugar in! I have just whipped up some chocolate pots with cherries, cream and a pastry disc for the lid. phew....Those cakes look delightful!

montanawildflower said... [Reply]

so sweet of him!