Onion and Red Pepper Frittata | Recipe | Budget Friendly

I had some eggs I didn't want going to waste, so I made a frittata.  Ok, I'll be honest.  The eggs I'm refering to are the eggs I blew out and decoupaged.  I will say this: Mr. Stranded LOVED the frittata until he figured out they were the decoupaged eggs.  It took him a few days to come to this realization, at which point, most of the frittata was finished.  But obviously, you can just crack your eggs like a normal person to make your frittata.

I used onion, red pepper and cheese in this frittata.  I could have kicked myself afterwards because I had some left-over potatoes that would have been a terrific addition.  If you happen to have left-over potatoes in your fridge, thow those in as well.  It will really kick things up a notch.

I poured my eggs right over my veggies because I like really caramelized onions and they continue to cook when close to the flame.  But if you prefer the veggies evenly distributed throughout, dump the cooked veggies in a bowl with the eggs and then pour altogether back into the pan.

Onion and Red Pepper Frittata Recipe
Yields: 8 servings

8 eggs
2 Tbsp butter or olive oil
1/2 large Vidalia onion, sliced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
4 oz cheese, shredded or crumbled (I used Dubliner)
Salt and Pepper, to taste

1. Heat butter or oil in a medium non-stick skillet with high sides over Medium heat.  Add onions and saute, stirring occassionally, until soft and translucent, about 7-10 minutes.  Add red bell pepper and sprinkle with just a bit of salt to help release the water.  Cook, about 5-7 minutes, stirring occassionally, or until pepper softens.
2. In the meantime, beat the eggs and season with salt and pepper.  Add cheese to eggs and mix well to combine.
3. Pour egg mixture into pan.  Lower heat to Medium-Low and cover with a lid.  Cook about 5-7 minutes until bottom and sides have set and top is still runny.
4. Remove lid and run a rubber spatula along the edges of the frittata to loosen from the pan.  Place a round dish larger than the pan over the pan.  Remove from heat and flip, so that the runny eggs are on the bottom touching the dish and the cooked portion is on top.
5. Slide the frittata back into the pan so that the runny eggs are now on the bottom of the pan closest to the burner.  Cover and cook an additional 3-5 minutes or until the bottom has set.
6.  Remove from heat, slice into eight equal portions and serve.

0 comments: