Boubon Whiskey Spare Ribs | Recipe | "Quick"er Spare Ribs

Mr. Stranded asked me to make spare ribs the other day and I sighed internally.  Not that I don't enjoy spare ribs, but everyone knows good ribs require advanced planning (letting them marinate overnight) and time (cooking them slowly for hours.)

I just didn't have the time this week to commit to ribs.  Between work, traveling, volunteer commitments and life in general, I've been swamped.  But Mr. Stranded so rarely asks for something specific, I didn't want to disappoint him.  So I threw together a glaze, didn't bother marinating them and cooked the ribs in the oven for 1-1/2 hours.  And you know what?  They were good!  The glaze I made was a combination of bourbon and peach preserves.  I used peach preserves because it's what I found in the fridge, although I'm sure you could use any preserve or marmalade.

In case you're wondering, all bourbons are whiskey, but not all whiskey is bourbon.  The difference?  According to The Straight Dope, bourbon whiskey can only be made in the USA and most bourbon is from the state of Kentucky.  Without going into too much detail, it's like saying the bagels in NY are the best because of the water.  Similarly, bourbon makers agree that it's the limestone spring water that gives bourbon whiskey its distinctive taste.  If you don't have bourbon, just substitute with regular whiskey. 

UPDATE: I had a little more time to make these again this past weekend.  I placed the ribs in a rimmed baking sheet and coated them in the marinade.  The longer you can let them marinade the better.  I then baked them in the oven for two hours at 275 degrees F and finished them off on the grill, 5 minutes per side.  They were tender and falling off the bone.  The quick way was good, but this way was even better.

Bourbon Whiskey Spare Ribs Recipe
Yields: 2-3 servings

3 lbs pork ribs
black pepper
3 Tbsp peach preserves
1-1/2 Tbsp water
3 Tbsp tomato paste
4-1/2 Tbsp ketchup
3 Tbsp sherry vinegar
3 Tbsp sugar
1-1/2 Tbsp bourbon whiskey, such as Wild Turkey

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Combine preserves through whiskey in a small pot.  Stir, over Medium heat, until sugar is dissolved.  Boil 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. In the meantime, pat dry ribs with a paper towel.  Season both sides with pepper and place in a ceramic or glass baking dish.  When glaze has finished boiling, pour over ribs; flip ribs to coat on all sides.
3. Place in the oven and cook for 1-1/2 hours, basting every 30 minutes.  Remove from oven and let rest 10 minutes before serving.

3 comments:

Miss T said... [Reply]

what is it with that? the Hairy One asked me to make a lasagne last night. Like, its Wednesday night! my famous lasagne takes a long long time.... These ribs are making my mouth water so I am going now to buy my lunch.
T xx

Adrienne said... [Reply]

This looks very simple! My husband loves ribs....I'll have to try this soon.

Nicole said... [Reply]

Yum!