Easy Guacamole | Recipe | Avocado Dip with Tomato and Fresh Chiles

Guacamole is one of those dips that should find its way to most dinner parties.  Can you think of anyone who doesn't like it?  There is often debate whether or not guacamole should be smooth or chunky.  I like my smooth with some chunks in there.  Luckily, that's how our friends like it as well.

Each time I make guacamole, I'm tempted to go buy myself a pestle and mortar.  Oddly enough, I have a wooden pestle from who-knows-where, but no mortar.  Guacamole always tastes great with the right balance of ingredients, but doesn't it somehow taste better when it's served in a mortar or is it just me?

SUGGESTION: If you're planning on making Pico de Gallo as well (which you should!) make it at the same time as the guacamole.  They basically have the same ingredients, just differing proportions.  Put out two bowls: one for the guac and one for the pico.  Chop up the ingredients for both recipes at the same time and divvy into the guacamole and pico bowls accordingly.  This method will save you time.

Guacamole Recipe
Yields: approx 2-1/2 c

2 to 2-1/2 ripe avocados
1/2 c white onion, diced
1/2 c tomatoes, seeded and diced
2 Tbsp chile serrano, finely diced
1/3 c cilantro, coarsely chopped
1 Tbsp lime juice
1-1/2 tsp coarse salt

1. Cut avocados in half; remove pit.  Score each avocado into cubes and scoop avocado cubes into a bowl.  Using a pestle or back of a spoon, mash the avocado until it is creamy with some chunks.
2. Add onion through salt.  Mix well to combine.  Cover with plastic wrap until ready to serve.

1 comments:

Yadi I. said... [Reply]

I love Guacamole. Avocado is one of those things that I never get tired of. We used to have a tree on our backyard when I was little. But my dad had to cut it down because it was BIG.