Flan | Recipe | Vanilla Caramel Custard

I was about 13-years-old the first time I attempted to make flan.  My parents were at a wedding or something (who remembers where exactly?!) and I wanted to make a nice dessert for my brother.  I don't remember what happened, but I can tell you that we did NOT end up eating flan that night.  Instead, I somehow managed to ruin my mom's baking dish.

I hadn't attempted flan since....until our recent Cinco de Mayo party!  I was a bit nervous about making the flan and shared this fear with Mr. Stranded over dinner one night.  Our conversation went like this:

Mrs: I'm nervous about making the flan.  I tried it once and it was a disaster.
Mr: When was this?
Mrs: I don't know.  I think I was 13.
Mr: Umm........I think you've come a long way since 13....It will come out great.

And you know what?  It was great!  It was very easy to make and I shouldn't have over-thought the directions.  It came out light and fluffy.  My only piece of advice - it's probably easier inverting the flan onto a serving dish before enjoying a few margaritas!

Flan Recipe
Yields: 10 servings

1 quart whole-milk
1-2/3 c sugar, divided
1/4 c water
8 large eggs
6 large egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla extract

1. Position oven rack in the middle of the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Bring a large pot of water to a boil.  Set souffle dish in a baking dish large enough to hold 2" of water. 
2. In a large saucepan, bring milk and 1 c sugar to a simmer.
3. To make the caramel, place 2/3 c sugar in a medium saucepan.  Drizzle in water and stir several times.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat.  Allow to simmer, without stirring, until the syrup begins to color.  Swirl the pan continually over the fire until the syrup is an even deep amber.  Immediately pour into the souffle dish and tilt the dish to distribute the caramel evenly along the bottom and sides.
4. To make the custard, beat the eggs, yolks and vanilla in a large bowl.  Slowly whisk in the hot milk mixture.  Pour egg mixture through a fine mesh sieve to remove any membranes or milk skins.  Pour into the souffle dish on top of the caramel.
5. Pour the hot water into the baking dish around the souffle dish.  Cover baking sheet with foil and place in the oven.  Cook 40-50 minutes until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.  Remove from oven and let cool in water bath.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.
6. To remove from the souffle dish, run an unserrated knife around the edge all the way to the bottom.  Place a serving dish on top of the souffle dish and invert.  Listen for the flan to drop.  Remove souffle dish.  Cut into individual slices and serve.


Source: Authentic Mexican

1 comments:

Tracy Wood said... [Reply]

I've really enjoyed all your Mexican Fiesta recipes lately. Your flan is beautiful! (HUGE) Did you eat it all?