Antique Typewriter | Random | Fabulous Friday Find

I may have mentioned this before, but Cleveland is not the city it used to be and has an extremely interesting history.   Between the 1870's-1960's, Cleveland was a prominent industrial city.  Rockefeller founded Standard Oil in Cleveland in 1870 (headquarters later moved to NY) and Cleveland was a major producer of steel and automobiles.  By the
1940's, businesses proclaimed Cleveland was the best city in the nation.  The economy was booming.  However in the 1960's, the US began importing steel from third-world countries under the Fair Trade Act and the Rust Belt (cities such as Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Detroit) began to see a downturn.  Unemployment rose and the city declined.  Now, it's a skeleton of what it used to be.  Looking at the mansions in area and gorgeous public buildings downtown, it's easy to see Cleveland's prior affluence. 

Sadly, there's little industry in Cleveland aside from health care. There's also some banking and Cleveland is home to corporate headquarters for companies such as Sherwin-Williams and American Greetings.

So why the long preamble?  Because it's summer, so do you know what that means?  Estate sales!!  Cleveland may not be as affluent now, but it certainly was at one point.  And the estate sales here are incredible! 

Thus launches my new weekly post during the summer: Fabulous Friday Finds.  I'm sure some weeks will be more fabulous than others, but I'm psyched.  Are you? 

Lucky for me, my company has half-day Fridays during the summer.  So while Mr. S is still at work, I'll go to one, maybe two, estate sales before he gets home.  He hates these things. I don't mind them.  Where else can you buy a sterling silver tray for $30?

So to kick things off, here is this week's Fabulous Friday Find:

Antique Underwood Tpewriter: $5
Resale Value: $150


Normally, I gravitate towards serving platters and some type of house decor piece, so this was a little out of the norm.  Is anyone surprised that Mr. Stranded hated this purchase?  It was incredibly dusty, but after I cleaned it up, I found a spot for it in one of our built-in bookcases.  I still have some playing around to do, but you get the general idea.  With some old photos and maybe a small depression glass piece, I think this could really work.  Cute, right? 



It's going to be a great season!

UPDATE:  I woke up today and hated the type-writer on the living room built-ins.  I moved it to Mr. Stranded's office which is a little more rustic and it worked much better there. 

9 comments:

Hines-Sight said... [Reply]

So neat! I'm going to enjoy to see what you find. My mom used to be in antiques before I was born, and I certainly think it is a talent.

Tracy Wood said... [Reply]

Some of my favorite items have come from estate sales, especially my platters and certain special dishes. My all time favorite lamp cost me a measly $10.00 last summer at a sale right on my street!

Adrienne said... [Reply]

I haven't been to Cleveland in ages, but I do remember the huge houses on the shores of Lake Erie. Is that where most of the big old houses are?

My husband abhors any kind of shopping - especially yard/garage/estate sales. Unless we are looking for something specific, like a used table or something. He hates aimless browsing, but I love it! Too bad we don't live close by, we could go together.

What a great typewriter. It does make me feel old to know that these are now collectors items - I was using one up until Freshman year in college.

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Adrienne There are some beautiful houses along the lake, but my favorite houses are in Shaker Heights. They are stunning!

I wish you did live close by - it would be fun having a "treasure hunting" buddy!

Jen-uinely Inspired said... [Reply]

Love the old typewriter! And what a score for only $5. I'm lucky, because my husband also enjoys antique shopping...but that's about it. I look forward to seeing what other great finds you find.

spcookiequeen said... [Reply]

I for sure won't tell my mom how much her typewriter was worth that my dad made her get rid of, he said, "It was just a dust collector".
-Gina-

montanawildflower said... [Reply]

I love the typewriter and agree it looks better on the old bookshelf. Too bad I don't have Friday afternoons off...I'd be estate shopping with you in a heartbeat. Hopefully we can find some Saturday sales.

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@montanawildflower Welcome back! I'll definitely be on the look-out for some Saturday sales. We'll go together and leave the guys at home ;)

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said... [Reply]

I lust after that typewriter! I have recently taken to setting up little mystery vignettes featuring accessories that reflect my favorite detectives (Poirot, Miss Marple, Ellery Queen, Sherlock, etc., and this would be perfect for Ellery Queen!