Brass Chandelier | Random | Fabulous Friday Find

There weren't any estate sales in my area this week and I wasn't about to drive 20 miles to find one.  But as you may recall from last week's post, I bought a Colonial-style chandelier for $5.  Mr. Stranded was sweet enough to hang it for me last weekend (which turned into a full-day project because upon taking down the old chandelier, we discovered a few fire hazards that needed to be addressed.)  So now I have some Before and After pictures for you.

As previously mentioned, our home is rather traditional.  I like to mix and match antique pieces with modern touches, but overall keep a classic tone.  When we moved into the house, this was the chandelier in the dining room:



Not bad, but a little too modern for a traditional dining room.  Here's a picture of the estate sale chandelier hung:






It's simple and classic look is a much better fit. 

On a separate note, the doily in the middle of our dining room table was hand-crocheted by my grandmother.  It is meticulously made and beautiful up close.  She made one for each of the grand kids and took great care in making them.  I want to proudly display it, but I'm not sure what to put on it on a regular basis.  During any of the holidays it's easy, but for an every day look, I struggle.  For now, I have a crystal bowl.  Any suggestions?


I hope your Friday is going well and you have a wonderful weekend!

8 comments:

Jen-uinely Inspired said... [Reply]

Bummer about there being no estate sales in the area. How can that be? The new chandelier is a much better fit with your dining room set! It amazes me that people crochet those doilies. You are lucky to have the one your grandma made you. How about a pretty vase displayed on top of the doily? Have a wonderful weekend :)

Anonymous said... [Reply]

Maybe frame it? You can do so much with layers of mat and really show it off.

The new chandelier - much better! Is your china Lenox Landmark Platinum? I like the way you have your china cabinet arranged.

Cynthia

Adrienne said... [Reply]

I like the new light fixture much better. I think it has more character.
I can't imagine crocheting such a thing. How does one have the eyes, the hands and the patience?
I agree with Jenny....a nice vase would look lovely. Filled with fresh flowers or good quality (real looking) faux flowers.
I like Cynthia's idea of framing it too. It will be protected that way.

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Jen-uinely Inspired I like the vase idea! I hope you have a great weekend too.

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Anonymous Cynthia - Thanks for your comment on the china cabinet! It was a fun afternoon project with my mom when she came to visit. The china pattern is Tiffany & Co Platinum Band. The pattern was recently discontinued because the limoges factory shut down, from what I understand. It's a simple, classic pattern - surprise, surprise - and I was so happy we got the set before it was discontinued.

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Adrienne My grandmother crocheted one for each grandmother and then retired her crocheting days. It was too much of a strain on her eyes and difficult on her arthritic hands. That's why I'm so appreciative of her hard work. I like the idea of a vase with flowers. I always have fresh flowers throughout the house in the summer, but no such luck in the winter. Some nice faux flowers is a great idea for those winter months. Thanks, ladies, for your suggestions!

Paula said... [Reply]

I am surprised you don't cover the candle-bulbs but show them quasi "naked".

A vase would be very nice. Or a porcelain bowl with lid, filled with sweets.

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Paula We put shades on the chandelier in our bedroom to give it a more modern look, but I'm trying to keep a classic feel in the dining room. We've only had it up for a week, so there's still time for me to change my mind.