Grilled Chicken Thighs with White BBQ Sauce | Recipe | Herbed Grilled Chicken

I really enjoy BBQ, but sometimes it can be somewhat indulgent.  Between BBQ sauce, ribs, burgers, dogs, condiments, and buns, it's easy to consume your day's worth of calories in a single sitting.  We still eat it, just in moderation.

Therefore, I'm always looking for lower calories ways to grill meat that still has a wonderful flavor.  I came across this recipe from Southern Living and was happy to see that the white BBQ sauce was served on the side.  I decided to give it a try.  This turned out to be a recipe enjoyed by all, with and without the sauce! 

No surprise here, but I substituted Greek yogurt for the mayo.  If you choose to do the Greek yogurt route, taste the sauce and adjust your seasoning accordingly.  I added some more mustard and horseradish, but it's a matter of personal preference.  The original recipe also called for skin-on thighs, but I took it off. Much healthier and equally as enjoyable.  I always get concerned that chicken will dry out on the grill, but these were cooked to perfection - cooked through and tender.

This recipe is easy and inexpensive enough to do for a large crowd.  I may just consider this for our next BBQ party!


Grilled Chicken Thighs with White BBQ Sauce Recipe
Yields: 5 chicken thighs

For Chicken:
1/2 Tbsp dried thyme
1/2 Tbsp dried oregano
1/2 Tbsp ground cumin
1/2 Tbsp paprika
1/2 Tbsp onion powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
5 chicken thighs, bone-in, skin removed

1. Combine thyme through pepper in a small bowl.  Set aside.
2. Rinse and pat dry chicken thighs.  Rub seasoning mixture evenly over thighs until both sides are coated.
3. Place thighs in a zip-top plastic bag and refrigerate 4 hours.
4. Preheat grill to 350-400 degrees F (Medium-High heat).  Grill chicken, covered with lid, 8-10 minutes on each side.  Serve with white BBQ sauce.

For White BBQ Sauce
3/4 c mayo (or Greek yogurt)
2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 Tbsp coarse ground pepper
1/2 Tbsp  brown mustard
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp horseradish

1. Combine all ingredients.  Cover and chill 2-4 hours.  Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.


Source: Adapted from Southern Living

3 comments:

Jen-uinely Inspired said... [Reply]

Oh yum! This sounds good. My husband is the cook in our house, I will have to show him this recipe.

bbq chicken recipe said... [Reply]

Thanks for the recipe here, I was searching for some new chicken recipe for my wife and got it here. I will give it a hit and see if my wife can make it or not. Can you give details about the mushroom chicken recipe?


bbq chicken recipe

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@bbq chicken recipe Not sure which mushroom chicken recipe you're referring to. Do you remember where I mentioned it? Whenever I combine chicken and mushrooms, it's usually chicken breast pounded very thin, seasoned with salt and pepper, coated with flour and then cooked in a bit of butter or oil. I then remove the breasts and cook the mushrooms with a bit of oil, salt, pepper and white wine. I combine them at the end. The next time I make this (probably Sept) I'll be sure to post the recipe.