Horseradish-Potato Salmon Filets | Recipe | Crispy Salmon



Here's a little fact about Mr. Stranded:  He's a loyal guy.  Once he finds something he likes, he sticks with it and is not willing to consider other options.  If I buy flounder, he wants me to pan fry it with House-Autry breader.  If I'm going to grill chicken thighs, he wants me to marinade them the same, old way.  If I buy filet mignon, he's looking for Beef Wellington.  And if I pick up some orechiette, he wants it with sausage and broccoli rabe. 

I guess it bodes well for me that my sweet, wonderful hubby is sure of what he likes and sticks with it (at least as it pertains to me, anyway.)  But can't we get some variety in here when it comes to food?

Mr. Stranded likes his salmon cooked one way: this way.  It's actually pretty decent.  But after cooking it the same way year, after year, after year, I'm sick of it.  So tonight I put my foot down and decided to try something new, despite the complaining I was sure to receive. 

And sure enough, I faced some some frowns, whining, and huffing. I even got a fake throw up noise.  You would think by his reaction, I was about to feed a child.  But after one bite, finally...a smile. 

I found this Double-Horseradish Potato Salmon recipe at Cooking Light and doctored it up a bit.  The crispy outer-shell and soft, tender fish was a nice contrast.  And the flavor was quite good.  I will definitely make this again - and I don't think Mr. Stranded will mind!

Horseradish-Potato Salmon Filets Recipe
Yields: 2 salmon filets

2 salmon filets, 6 oz each
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1-1/2 Tbsp prepared horseradish
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp wasabi powder
1/4 c instant potato flakes
salt and pepper
cooking spray

1. Combine mustard, horseradish, thyme and wasabi powder.  Set aside.
2. Sprinkle both sides of salmon filets with salt and pepper.  Brush with mustard mixture.  Dredge through potato flakes until all sides are coated.
3. Lightly coat an oven-proof pan with cooking spray.  Over Medium-High heat, cook salmon until golden, about 2 minutes per side.  Place salmon under broiler and broil, 2-3 minutes per side or until it reaches desired degree of doneness.  Serve immediately.

NOTE: I placed the broiler rack in the middle of the oven.  My broiler element is at the top.  It was too hot to turn on the oven.  You can also preheat oven to 400 degrees F and bake for 6 minutes.

10 comments:

Tracy Wood said... [Reply]

I would never have thought to use horseradish and wasabi on salmon - but you say it's good, so there we go! Cooking Light has great recipes! Thanks for sharing this one ~ have a happy Fourth of July!

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Tracy Wood I was nervous that Mr. S wasn't going to like it since he made such a stink about the change of pace, but he specifically said he liked the flavor. We like wasabi and horseradish, anyway, so this wasn't a stretch for our tastebuds. We both enjoyed it and Mr. S told me it's a keeper. I hope you try it! And Happy 4th to you.

Adrienne said... [Reply]

I am always on the lookout for new salmon recipes. We eat it at least once a week. And I get bored with my go-to recipe too. Bill and I love horseradish....I'll try this next time I make salmon.

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Adrienne I hope you like it! Mr. S and I both like horseradish so I used more than the original recipe suggested and I'm glad I did. The odd-ball ingredient, at least for me, were the potato flakes. I don't normally have potato flakes in the house, so went out and bought them. It's an interested alternative to breadcrumbs and I'd like to experiement with them. If you do make it, let me know what you think. I'd love the feedback!

Hines-Sight said... [Reply]

This looks good. Your post made me laugh.

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Hines-Sight I was laughing myself when Mr. S made his vomit noise. He cracks me up.

Sara Louise said... [Reply]

This looks delicious!! Really really delicious!
And I cook orechiette with sausage and broccoli rabe too! :-)

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Sara Louise Orechiette with sausage and broccoli rabe is one of Mr. Stranded's favorite meals. I'm not crazy about sausage, so don't make it often. It's become our little joke now that I'll make it each year on his birthday. Easy peasy for me!

Paula said... [Reply]

Thank you for following! You probably did not know - Mr Paula bought himself a yellow vintage Vespa last summer, when I was asking for diamond studs for our 10year anniversary. haha! He came home with a Vespa. Around that time I dyed my hair for the first time in my life - blonde! I guess we live our midlife crisis, but it's enjoyable! :-)

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Paula Too funny! Glad you're enjoying your new treats!