Insanity Saturday Update | Random | Week 1 Review

I survived!  As you may have read from my prior post, Mr. Stranded and I have started the Insanity 60-Day Workout Program.  It's just as hard as I expected, but I like it so far.

To help you understand the torture that we've inflicted upon ourselves, today, I'm going to break this post down into three sections: 1) The Make Up of the Insanity, 2) This Week's Reflections and Results and, 3) Incentive Plan Reward.  In subsequent weeks, I'll just tell you about my progress and incentive reward. 

THE MAKE UP OF INSANITY
The program is really intense.  To give you an example, for those of you who run on a treadmill, if you were to pick any program on the treadmill, you run at a rather constant speed with short bursts of sprints.  Insanity turns that around so you're working at your MAX most of the time with short bursts of rests.  It's no wonder they call it Insanity. 

You start out with about 10 minutes of "warm-up."  I put warm-up in quotes because the warm-up is like what most people do for their normal work-out.  Even the warm-up is tiring.  After the warm-up, there's a quick water break, about 20 seconds, and then you stretch for 3-5 minutes.  So here you're thinking, "Oh, good.  Stretching."  Wrong!  These stretches are ridiculous!  You have to hold poses for so long, your muscles start to shake and sweat is dripping from your body.  Then you get another 20 second water break.

And now the real work-out begins.  Each day focuses on different areas, but Insanity is basically a combination of cardio and plyometrics.  Nothing is easy.  You don't just do basic push-ups. You do push-ups while bringing a knee to your chest.  You don't just do squats.  You squat, jump up in the air and slap your hands to your knees before you land.  You get the drift.

You'll do 1 minute worth of those crazy push-ups, followed by 1 minute of those crazy jumping squat things, followed by 1 minute of some other crazy exercises, until you've done about 5 minutes worth in a row at your max speed.  Yeah, anyone can do 10 push-ups in a row.  But try doing as many of those crazy push-ups as you can without stopping for 1 full minute and then immediately follow that by 4 minutes worth of other crazy exercises.  No resting.  Just when you think you're done, you have to do it all over again for another 5 minutes, but faster.  And just when you think you're going to throw up, you get 20 seconds for water.  Then you move on to the next circuit of exercises.  Get the point?  Exhausting.

WEEK 1 REFLECTIONS AND RESULTS
  • This work-out is nuts, but I'm sticking with it.  The hardest part is doing it 6 days a week. 
  • The first few days, I had never been so sore my entire life.  But towards the end of the week, it started getting better.  I found taking a quick walk around the block pre-workout helped to loosen my muscles.
  • Unfortunately, I didn't lose any weight nor inches this week.  It does look like my face slimmed down a little, but that may be wishful thinking.  I know there's no magic bullet to weight loss, so I'm not disappointed.  This week was more about getting my body adjusted to this crazy routine.  If all my measurements are the same at the end of next week, then I'll be frustrated.
INCENTIVE PLAN REWARD
  • Remember the Sketchers SRR Prospeed Shape-ups?  They're mine!  Or they will be come Tuesday.  The store didn't have them in my size, so they were ordered for me and are expected to arrive on Tuesday. 
 WEEK 1 down!  Eight more to go...

9 comments:

Adrienne said... [Reply]

I'm so proud of you for sticking it out! It sounds very challenging, I used to be a personal trainer and exercise instructor. I remember the throw up feeling quite well. And i also have not so fond memories of plyometric jumping jacks. They were one of my least favorite exercises, but they did great things for my gams.
I assume this is a DVD....do you need equipment to do it?

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Adrienne Yup, it's 10 DVDs. We do a different one each day. No equiptment is needed. It's amazing how difficult it is! Given you were a personal trainer, do you know when I can expect to see results? Am I being too optimistic to expect to see even small changes next week?

Adrienne said... [Reply]

I think you will notice some firmness soon, but I wouldn't rely too much on the scale for some time. Muscle building will cause you to take on some water weight; but don't worry, it's not like bloating. In fact, you may not even notice it in the way your clothes fit. And it will eventually go away.
I think right now you are revving up your metabolic engine with your exercising and will see the fruits of your labor in the next week or two.
One great thing to do is measure yourself now and write it down in a journal. Don't take measurements again until you are well into your program. The scale is fickle, but inches don't lie. I would measure your upper arms, upper thighs, waist, hips and bust.
I have been known to fluctuate a full five pounds in one day! Water weight is a funny thing - it's hard to trust numbers on the scale.

One more thing: you may want to pay attention to your appetite. Some people lose theirs when they workout hard. And some people become ravenous. I once tried super slow training, which builds lots of muscle, and all I did was eat. I was constantly hungry and always wanted sugary stuff. I had to quit super slow because I was getting fat!
You must eat enough to keep up your energy when doing a program like yours, otherwise you will feel horrible. Just be aware if you find yourself snacking all the time and eating more than you normally do.

I am excited to hear about your progress!

Tracy Wood said... [Reply]

NICE SKETCHERS!

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Adrienne Thanks for all your comments. They're really helpful. I took measurements of all areas that you mentioned last week. As of now, no changes, but I know it's still early in the program. I'll give it a couple more weeks. I know that for someone my height and weight, it's hard to lose even a couple of pounds. So I'll be patient. Either way, I'm excercising and keeping my heart healthy.

Regarding my appetite, I found that I'm so exhausted after each work-out that I'm too tired to eat. I force myself to have breakfast because I know it's important, but I'm not hungry at all. Even during the course of the day, I have to remind myself to stop and eat a small snack, such as fruit, in between meals. I've been eating tons of veggies and lean protein for dinner. And I've been drinking 2+ Nalgenes of water per day.

We went to the movies tonight and I bought a box of Junior Mints, normally my favs. I don't eat sweets during the week, so the Junior Mints were my end-of-week sweet treat. After a few pieces, I put them away. I found that I wasn't interested in them. I don't think we're going to do much entertaining the next few weeks because I want to focus on eating right and not eating junk.

Jen-uinely Inspired said... [Reply]

Wow! Sounds like a tough workout! I have to confess that I can't do a single push-up. I have arms made of spaghetti. My form of exercise is running. I got on a running kick two years ago, and found it works great on keeping the lbs. off. I agree with Adrienne on not focusing on the scale so much, but rather on inches. As you build muscle, you should notice your clothes fitting better, and you might even go down a few sizes. Keep up the good work!

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Jen-uinely Inspired Thanks for the encouragement! Mr. S and I are regular runners. We run outdoors during the summer and on our treadmill during the winter. Even then, these 10 lbs won't budge! It's so frustrating!!

I agree with you - I'm not too concerned about what the scale says. I'm more concerned about fitting back into my clothes. Mr. Stranded said yesterday that he can already see a difference. I haven't noticed a difference yet, but it made my day hearing it from him!

Paula said... [Reply]

"These stretches are ridiculous! You have to hold poses for so long, your muscles start to shake and sweat is dripping from your body." This reminds me of Yoga, sounds good!

I couldn't do a single of those "jump slap the hands, land, etc" moves. I guess I am lame.

The way you describe the workout is a very helpful review. Ever thought of posting it on amazon or whereever the workout is being sold?

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Paula You're absolutely right - it is a lot like yoga. We have one "recovery" day a week that is essentially yoga. We don't do any cardio that, but that doesn't mean it's an easy! :)

There were a number of excersises that I found very difficult at first such as those jumping squats, but now that I'm on Week 4, I can do many more than Week 1. My body is certainly becoming stronger.