Insanity Workout | Random | Incentive Plan

Ladies – we need to chat.  I had a disturbing conversation with my mother.  I was complaining that the past year-and-a-half or so, I’ve put on about 10 lbs that I’ve been unable to lose.  Granted, I don’t walk nearly as much as I did while living in the city, but I eat healthy, work-out three times per week, don’t eat snacks nor sweets (with the exception of when we are entertaining,) and maintain a very active lifestyle.
I’m not complaining about how I look.  I’m complaining that I have closets filled with clothes that don’t fit.  My mom’s response was that as each decade passes, a woman’s body will change in inexplicable ways.  It’s a part of aging and to reverse these changes takes more work and effort than it would have previously.  Is this true?  Can I expect that with every 10 years that go by, I’ll change in ways that are almost impossible to control?
I refuse to believe that this 10-lbs-heavier-me is the new me.  So in an effort to jump start my metabolism, I’ve started the Insanity 60-Day Workout.  It’s similar to P90X, but the workouts are shorter, more intense sessions – about 35-55 minutes per day, six days a week for the next nine weeks. 

Kill me now...

I've been waking up earlier and getting these Insanity sessions done each morning before work so I can still enjoy the evenings.  Mr. Stranded is being super supportive and doing it with me to keep me motivated.  He doesn't have an ounce of fat to lose and has always been athletic.  Even he thinks this workout is intense! 

To keep me motivated, I’m going to blog on Saturdays about each week’s progress.  I’m also making this fun for myself by creating an INCENTIVE PLAN.  For each week that I complete, I will give myself a little reward.  What can I say?  I need something more than just physical results to keep me going. 

INCENTIVE PLAN:


Source: Famous Footware
WEEK 1: Sketchers Running Shape-Ups  - Kind of lame, I know.  But I tried them on in the store and was hooked.  They're really ugly, but man, they're comfortable and I can feel them doing something.  Plus, my old running shoes are getting worn out and I can use some new ones.





Source: Essie

WEEK 2: Essie Nail Polish - Forget Me Nots - Bright pink nail polish.  I think this will really pop on my toes in the sand this summer.








Source: Ann Taylor Loft

WEEK 3: Tortoise Shell Headband -  I had one like this, but one of my nieces likes to "trade" headbands with me.  The last trade we did, she took one of my silk J. Crew headbands and gave me a plastic, pink, glittery thing in return.  Hmmm....not sure that's a fair trade, but she's way too cute to say "no."  The tortoise shell headband is perfect for hot summer days when I throw my hair into a wet pony-tail.



Source: Amazon

WEEK 4:  Multi-Purpose Precision Scissors - For the past two years or so, we've been getting by on a pair of broken scissors.  As a result, we can only cut about 3/4 of the scissor length.  I keep thinking that even though they are a pain to use, they still kind of work. I think it's about time we bought ourselves a new pair. 




Bath & BodyWorks
 
Week 5: Bath & BodyWorks Anti-Bacterial Hand Soap - My mother-in-law gave us a bunch of these for Christmas.  We really like them, but are down to our last one.  I'm a fan of the smell and Mr. Stranded likes the anti-bacterial foam.  Win win!






Source: Amazon
WEEK 6: Bruce Springsteen's Greatest Hits Piano Sheet Music - I play the piano and Mr. Stranded plays guitar.  Even though I prefer playing classical music, it's pretty fun "jamming" together.  I've been building my pop music library with artists who have interesting piano arrangements.






Source: J. Crew
WEEK 7: New bikini for our upcoming beach vacation.  I haven't picked one out yet, but I'm all about the seersucker!








Source: Home Depot
WEEK 8: Hand Truck - This one is more for Mr. Stranded than for me, but doesn't he deserve something too?  On more than one occasion this past month have I thought, "A hand truck would be mighty useful right about now."  If nothing else, we can give each other rides up and down the driveway.






Source: Nordstrom
WEEK 9: Citizen's of Humanity Jeans - Kelly - New pair of jeans to celebrate the completion of Insanity!

So far I'm half way through Week 1 and holding strong.  This is going to be one heck of a trip!




8 comments:

Miss T said... [Reply]

55 minutes of intensive workout 6 days a week, you say? ok, I will do this with you but I want to swap the scissors for a week in Tahiti if thats possible. This morning I was overtaken by a 70 year old in the 'slow' swimming lane so I am not holding out too much confidence.

So down with the seersucker.

Adrienne said... [Reply]

Wow! You are brave. That looks super hard. Were you sore - like can't sit down without wincing sore? Can't life your arm above your shoulder sore? Because I know I would be.
You will be rockin' that seersucker bikini on your summer vacation for sure!

Looking forward to hearing about your progress.
xo, A

P.S. Miss T, you crack me up....

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Adrienne Yes, yes and yes! I just finished with my fifth day and I have never been more sore in my life. On Tuesday, Mr. S and I went to Home Depot. We were walking through the parking lot and Mr. S said to me, "You're walking like an old lady." I turned around only to notice him walking like an old man! There's a reason they call this "Insanity."

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Miss T You crack me up too! I totally hear what you're saying about swapping the scissors for Tahiti. You should have seen my original list: a new pair of Sperry Top-sides, new Jack Rogers, a new necklace...but then I remember someone who have to pay for all these goodies! Don't you just hate when reality sets in?

Tracy Wood said... [Reply]

I hate to tell you but your mom might be right! I have entered my 5th decade and have such a hard time losing even one pound! Too bad food tastes so great, eh? Stay active! Eat healthy. I will really enjoy reading about your progress! (plus I love your incentive plan)

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Tracy Wood Ugh. I was hoping you wouldn't agree with my mom...

You're so right that it's too bad that food tastes great! And I love to cook and eat. To quote my niece, "It's my favorite hobby." I told Mr. S that I will work-out like there's no tomorrow, but I refuse to diet. We eat healty enough as it is and I don't see how we can alter our diet in a way that's sustainable. So here's to Insanity! One more day before I can get my new sneakers!!

Paula said... [Reply]

We are in the same boat - I gained 8 pounds since Christmas Season (lots and lots of cookies)
I try to lose weight with the Couch 2 5 K programme. It might work because I don't go to the gym nor swimming pool. I just use my bicycle to work. But after a few years, the body adapts to the exercise and it doesn't count as workout anymore (in the sense of burning fat).

I can't believe you gained 10 pounds even though you go to the gym! I really like your incentives. They are cute.

btw: the ONLY reason I want to get rid of these 8 pounds is my wardrobe. Well and maybe that I don't want to look like my mother when I reach her age. Overweight and a bit depressed that every walk is exhausting and not refreshing. Please don't get me wrong, my mother is great but she does not like her weight at all.

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Paula Gaining the 10 lbs despite the gym was a shock to me too! It was a gradual gain over the course of almost 2 years, but the pounds kept creeping on. While living in New York, I walked everywhere in addition to hitting the gym. I'm more sedentary in Cleveland, particularly during the harsh winters. I suppose it was a matter of time that my lack of walking would catch up with me.

Hopefully, I'll be back in my old wardrobe soon!

Good luck with your 8-lb challenge and the Couch-to-5k program! I hope you check back in an update me on your progress.