My Family's Hand-Me-Downs | Random | Fabulous Friday Finds

You may have noticed that I'm only two weeks into my Fabulous Friday Finds segment and I already missed a Friday post.  But I have a good excuse.  This past weekend my family got together to celebrate my little cousin's college graduation.  Congrats, Nic!  We're proud of you. 

Thus, I didn't have time to hit up any estate sales.  However, that doesn't mean I didn't score huge this weekend!  Since we drove down to DC, everyone took advantage of us having a car to bring things back with us to Cleveland. 

1) To start, my parents had six of these beautiful cherry-wood folding chairs with cream, damask fabric seats.  My mom was always worried they would get ruined with our large family, so she hadn't even bothered removing the protective plastic from the seat.  She finally decided that white fabric seats were not for her.  They're so pretty, they don't look like folding chairs and I've replaced the old club chairs in the dining room with these.  Hooray for us!



2) My brother and his family are moving soon.  My wonderful sister-in-law, who over the years has become like a big sister, friend and mentor to me, decided to part with some silver serving pieces instead of packing them up and putting them in storage.  As she put it, "fancy" is not the way they entertain and thought I would appreciate and get more use out of them than she.  Thank you!  We will!

 





3) A window unit from my parents!  It's only a couple years old and they weren't using it.  We couldn't be happier.  No more sleeping on the pull-out sofa when the heat rises above 90 degrees.

4) A painting from my grandmother.  My aunt is a phenomenal artist and I especially love her watercolors.  This is one of her simpler pieces that she painted for my grandparents at least 40 years ago.  It was a pleasant surprise that this painting was given to me.  I already found a perfect spot for it - a little nook on our second floor landing.

5) And lastly, this pretty serving dish from my mom.


I think I did much, much better than I ever could have done at an estate sale!  Thanks, family!

8 comments:

Adrienne said... [Reply]

What a haul! You brought home lovely things. I still can't believe those a folding chairs! How cool is that?

Beautiful serving pieces you have. It's time for a fancy dinner party, yes?

Many of my favorite things were hand me downs from my family over the years.

spcookiequeen said... [Reply]

I don't think white could ever work for our family either. What beautiful things you were handed down. I love seeing what my mom will part with.
-Gina-

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Adrienne I'm pretty psyched about the chairs! They're really pretty and very sturdy. I would never guess they were folding chairs. Now that I have new dining room chairs and serving pieces, I may just have to throw a fancy party! Once it starts getting cool again in Cleveland (aka Sept), we'll start entertaining inside again.

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@spcookiequeen Gina, isn't it fun getting little hand-me-down treasures here and there? I was so pleasantly surprised by all of these!

Mark Tramontozzi said... [Reply]

Did you actually remove the plastic from the chairs? Mom will never let you live it down!

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Mark Tramontozzi You bet! I also removed all the plastic off my lamp shades and manufacturer stickers off my crystal - gasp!

Jen-uinely Inspired said... [Reply]

Wow, what great pieces! I especially love that little blue bowl. And that painting! So pretty. I have several pieces that my grandmother left me. One that is especially dear to me, is a wooden trunk that belonged to her mother, my great grandmother. It must be from the early 1900's or late 1800's. And then another piece an is an old wooden file cabinet that was in my grandfathers photography shop. It now stores our vast DVD collection in the family room. You've inspired me to do a post on some of these family pieces!

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Jen-uinely Inspired Thanks! I already used the blue bowl in my Blueberry Buckle recipe that I posted last night.

I would love to see that post on your family pieces. It's always fun to see pieces that are passed down from generation to generation. Very neat that your grandfather had a photography shop. You must have inherited his photo skills!