Blueberry Buckle | Recipe | Healthy Dessert


My little cousin came to visit a few weeks ago and lamented we didn't have any good snacks.  I don't know what she's talking about. We have plenty of fruits, raisins, nuts, and oatmeal.  On second thought, maybe she has a point...

Dessert and snacks are difficult to find in this house during normal circumstances, even more so now that we're in the middle of our 60-day workout program.  We always try to eat healthy during the week, but on the weekends, all bets are off.  I think it's one of the reasons I like to entertain as much as I do.  Entertaining is a great reason to make some decadent dishes sans the guilt.

Since we agreed not to entertain over the next 60 days (at least not in our normal, excessive ways,) I haven't done any baking since Memorial Day.  I was starting to get the itch for a little treat when I received an e-mail from Beachbody.com, the distributor for the Insanity Program.  The e-mail featured a "delicious, guilt-free dessert that combines the healthy goodness of steel-cut oats with sweet, antioxidant-rich blueberries."  I wouldn't consider this a real dessert, but it was just the treat I was looking for to get me to the weekend.  I wrote the original recipe below, although when I make this again, I'll add a pinch of salt.

Blueberry Buckle Recipe
Yields: 4 servings

1-1/3 c steel-cut oats
1 c fresh blueberries
2 Tbsp slivered almonds
1 tsp cinnamon
1 c water
Optional: honey, stevia, or raw sugar to taste

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Combine all ingredients in a small baking dish or large ramekin.  Bake for 20 minutes.  Allow to cool before serving.
3.  ALTERNATIVELY - Microwave on High for 1-1/2 minutes.  (I didn't try this, but according to the recipe, it can be done.)

4 comments:

Adrienne said... [Reply]

I just bought blueberries - organic on sale - yesterday. I will try this dessert....it looks good, although it's probably better with a scoop of full-fat ice cream on top. :)

What week are you on? Does Insanity get more and more difficult, I mean, insane?

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Adrienne It's funny you said that because I turned to Mr. S last night and said, "How good would this taste with ice cream?" Haha. Since it's the weekend, I may just have a scoop with the left-overs.

Just finished Week 3! It's getting easier, but at Week 5, the routine completely changes and it suppossed to be ridiculously hard 6-9.

Paula said... [Reply]

Mrs Stranded, Adrienne linked to your blog, she loves your dessert. In Austria it is almost the season for blueberries, I will try your recipe as soon as the blueberries are ripe and on display. :-)

I am not on Insanity (Would love Mr Paula to give it a try), my lane is the Couch 2 5 K, also a challenge and always fun.
best wishes, Paula

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Paula I'm glad you're interested in the blueberry buckle! I want to stress that it's not your typical dessert. I view it more as a "treat" when you want an after-dinner, low-calorie snack. I liked Adrienne's addition of Greek yogurt and honey.

I had not heard of Couch-to-5k, but it looks like an interesting program. Mr. Stranded and I run 5k's together during the summer months in Cleveland. I always enjoy running outdoors. Good luck with completing the program!