Stuffed Pork Tenderloin | Recipe | Green Tomato and Peach Stuffing



I saw some beautiful green tomatoes at the market the other day.  I could almost taste them lightly pan-fried with some House-Autry breader that I told you about here.

Imagine my disappointment when I realized we were all out!  Not wanting to waste my lovely green tomato, I looked in the fridge to see if there was anything I could pair with it.  And staring me right in the face was a lean pork tenderloin.

I had bought far too many peaches (that's what happens when I go grocery shopping hungry) and thought a peach and green tomato could be a nice tangy-sweet combo.  It turned out to be more sweet than tangy, but it was an interesting dynamic for the taste buds, in a good way.  And the pork was amazingly tender.  We both enjoyed this dish, so-much-so, there weren't any left-overs!

I only ended up using half of the green tomato.  The other half I pan-fried making my own seasoned breader, a combination of breadcrumbs, cumin, cayenne pepper and a dash of all-spice.  May not have House-Autry, but it was still good!

Pork Tenderloin Stuffed with Green Tomatoes and Peach Recipe
Yields: 2-4 servings

2 lb pork tenderloin
2 Tbsp butter, divided
1 large shallot, minced
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1/2 green tomato, cored, seeded and diced
1 peach, diced
1/4 c plain breadcrumbs
2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
salt and pepper

1. Let pork sit at room temperature 15-20 minutes.
2. In the meantime, melt 1 Tbsp butter over Medium heat in a medium, non-stick skillet.  Stirring occasionally, cook shallot, 3-4 minutes until soft and translucent.  Add garlic and cook 1 minute.  Add tomato and peach; cook 2-3 minutes until peach has softened a bit, but is still holding its shape.  Remove from heat and allow to cool.  Mix in breadcrumbs and parsley.  Set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Butterfly the tenderloin and pound it to an even thickness using a meat mallet or heavy skillet.  Season both sides generously with salt and pepper.
4.  Place the stuffing towards the bottom of the meat, lengthwise, and roll it up jelly-roll style.  You may have more stuffing than you need.  Secure shut using kitchen twine or toothpicks.
5. Heat remaining Tbsp butter in a large oven-proof skillet over Medium-High heat.  Sear tenderloin on top and bottom sides for 4 minutes per side; sear remaining sides for 1 minute per side. (Be sure to use a splatter screen for this.)
6. Place skillet in the oven and roast tenderloin for 20-30 minutes, until tenderloin reaches desired degree of doneness.
7. Remove from oven and allow meat to reabsorb its juices for 10 minutes before slicing.