Stuffed Portobello Mushroom Caps | Recipe | Grilled Veggie-Stuffed Portobello

Please tell me this happens to someone other than me.  I go grocery shopping and get excited by what I see.  I buy it, get it home and realize only then...I've bought too much!  This is what happened this past week.  The grocery store had bulk portobello mushrooms and I couldn't resist.  But as the week carried on, I didn't feel like making anything with them.

Not wanting them to go to waste, I concocted this grilled stuffed portobello mushroom cap recipe.  It was easy and satisfying.  Don't let the tomatoes get mushy.  1-2 minutes should do the trick.

Stuffed Portobello Mushroom Cap Recipe
Yields: 2 mushroom caps

2 portobello mushrooms
1 small yellow onion, minced
2 large garlic cloves, minced
2 plum tomatoes, diced
1 c spinach leaves
salt and pepper
1/4 c bread crumbs
1 Tbsp olive oil + a little more
Parmesan cheese

1. Remove stems from portobello caps; dice and set aside.  Remove and discard the black gills in the caps.
2. In a medium non-stick skillet, heat 1 Tbsp olive oil over Medium heat.  Add onion and garlic; cook until soft and translucent.  Add mushroom stems; season with salt.  Cook 3-4 minutes.  Add tomatoes and cook another 1-2 minutes.
3. Remove pan from heat and add spinach leaves.   Mix well.  Spinach leaves will wilt on their own.  Stir in bread crumbs and set aside.
4. Heat grill to Medium-High heat.  Brush mushroom caps with olive oil.  Place stem side down and grill for 5 minutes.
6. Remove from heat.  Fill mushrooms caps with stuffing and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.  Return to grill, top side down, and grill for another 5 minutes.  Remove from grill and serve.

7 comments:

Adrienne said... [Reply]

I am feeling shame right now because I just remembered an incident a few weeks ago when I let four beautiful Portobellos go south because they were hidden under other produce and I forgot about them...:( very sad and I felt terrible. They were not cheap! That is what I get for buying them just because they were there, without planning a meal around them.

This dish looks so healthy and flavorful. Tori, my vegetarian girl, would love this!

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Adrienne Definitely healthy and flavorful. Adding some mild shreaded cheese, such as manchego or even mozzarella, would make this even better.

Miss T said... [Reply]

I did this, just yesterday. Supermaket: 500gms ricotta please! Get home and check recipe: 100gms. Meh, I used 500gms anyway cause I love it! I am having a torrid affair with mushrooms of late. YUM! T x

Hines-Sight said... [Reply]

This looks good. Happy 4th.

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Miss T Glad to know I'm not the only one! What did you use the ricotta for? When I was little, my paternal grandmother used to sprinkle a little sugar over ricotta and give it to me a scoop as a snack. Yum. Now, I'm a sucker for anything with ricotta.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said... [Reply]

Yum! I love stuffed mushrooms caps. I wish the mister were more fond of vegetarian entrees than he is, which is to say that he doesn't like them at all. :-(

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Pattie @ Olla-Podrida Too bad! I don't know what I'd do if Mr. S didn't like veggies as much as I do.