Asparagus with Balsamic Tomatoes | Recipe | Quick & Easy

Have I been a delinquent blogger this week or what?  My parents are coming for an impromtu weekend visit.  They arrive tonight and we could not be more excited.  We've been busy getting ready - planned a BBQ night with friends, made reservations at our favorite restaurants, tried a few new recipes, and did a "cursory cleaning" of the house.

I say cursory cleaning, but as mentioned before, I'm slightly neurotic.  I had a conversation with the ever-so-patient-Mr. Stranded that went like this:

Mr. Stranded:  Hey hon, do you have a preferred way of cleaning the grout on the bathtub walls?
Me: Yup.  Use a solution of bleach and water.  Spray it on the walls, let sit for a few minutes and then scrub it with a toothbrush.
Mr. Stranded: A toothbrush?  Do you have one I can use.
Me (handing him a few toothbrushes reserved for cleaning): Here you go.  But don't go crazy.  Just do a cursory cleaning.
Mr. Stranded (looking at me bewildered): You want me to do a cursory cleaning using a toothbrush?

Did I mention I'm slightly neurotic?  In case you're wondering, he did a wonderful job!

We'll also be celebrating my mom's birthday and my dad's retirement, so had fun coming up with what we hope are the perfect gifts for them.  Here's a sneak peak.


What does all this have to do with asparagus?  Absolutely nothing.  But it goes to show I've been a little pre-occupied this week, hence the lack of posts.

This is another altered Cooking Light recipe.  While I grilled my asparagus, I thought it became a little dry this way.  I would suggest boiling the asparagus instead.

Asparagus with Balsamic Tomatoes Recipe
Yields: 4 servings

1 lb asparagus, trimmed
2 tsp olive oil
1-1/2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
2 medium cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
3 Tbsp crumbled goat cheese
12 tsp black pepper

1. Cook asparagus in boiling water 2-3 minutes until tender-crisp.  Drain.
2. Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over Medium-High heat.  Add tomatoes and cook 4 minutes.  Stir in garlic and cook 1 minute.  Add vinegar; cook 3 minutes.  Add salt and remove from heat.
3. Add asparagus to pan and toss with tomato mixture to distribute the flavor of the balsamic.  Stir in pepper.  Arrange asparagus on a platter and top with tomato mixture.  Sprinkle with cheese.


Adapted from Cooking Light

6 comments:

Hines-Sight said... [Reply]

This looks good.

Thanks for entering my giveaway.

I'm probably so like your husband, and he like you. :)

Love your posts, and have a great time with your parents.

Sara Louise said... [Reply]

That's a good grout cleaning tip.
And I'm thinking you might be able to help with this... I was cleaning the grout on the tiles on my kitchen with bleach and now some of the white grout is black! Has this ever happened to you? Is it because I didn't dilute the bleach? Can you help me? Can anyone help me???
And the asparagus looks delicious by the way :-)

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Hines-Sight Thanks, Leigh! They arrived safe and sound last night and are moseying (is that a real word) on out of bed now. Should be a fun weekend!

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Sara Louise So happy to see you're a follower! And oh my goodness - no! My grout has never turned black, not from cleaning it anyway ;) I dilute the bleach using equal parts of water and bleach. I put it in a spray bottle, spray is on, leave it for 10-15 minutes and then get to work with a toothbrush. I found this is the easiest way to tackle this job.

Catherine said... [Reply]

I don't know where to start here. Your husband cleans the bathroom?! Mine hardly knows how to use it properly!

A gift in a Chanel bag? That's on my bucket list. Seriously. I aim low. I almost don't even care what's in there I just want soemthing from Chanel before I die.

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Catherine My husband is a very sweet guy. I know that I'm pretty lucky and remind myself of it each day.

As for the Chanel bag, it's on my bucket list too. Maybe my kids will get me something in a Chanel bag someday! I really hope she likes it.