Insanity Saturday Update | Exercise | Week 7 Review

Imagine my horror when I pulled on my jeans last Friday and "gasp!" They wouldn't fit around my thighs.  How was this possible?  I'd been doing Insanity 6 days a week for the past 6 weeks.  I quickly grabbed the tape measure and sure enough, my thighs had gotten thicker!  After a careful review in the mirror, they looked more toned, but I had developed man thighs!!!  All those squats did not serve me well.

I started to panic.  If I had wanted bigger thighs, I could have accomplished that by sitting on the couch, watching t.v.  Feeling very frustrated, I wanted to throw in the towel on the entire Insanity thing and say the heck with it. 

By the time Sunday came around, I was feeling completely depressed and I decided to go for a run instead of doing my normal Insanity routine.  Mr. Stranded was sweet enough to join me even though he already completed his Insanity work-out for the day, and off we went.  I normally have a few rules when I run with Mr. Stranded because he runs much faster than I do:

1)  I set the pace
2)  He should not ask me questions such as "How was your day,"  or he will receive a one-word answer.  I like conserving my energy when running with him.  He should, however, feel free to do all the talking.

Imagine my delight when we set off on our 4 mile run in 92 degree heat and I ran faster than I ever have before.  And not only did I clock in one of my fastest running times (don't forget the 92 degree heat), but I was able to chat with Mr. Stranded. 

So I realized that Insanity may have given me man thighs, but it's improved my stamina, speed and endurance.  I've decided to stick with it, but have made some changes.

WEEK 7 REFLECTIONS AND RESULTS
  • Instead of continuing with the Plyometric days which consists mostly of squats, I'm going on a run.  I absolutely want to gain muscle, but I do not want to bulk up.  Cardio is a better plan for me.
  • I will continue with the cardio, stretching and core days.  However, if there's a move that requires me to go into a squat, such as a hook punch squat, I'm not going to do the squat.  Instead, I'll still do a hook punch, but instead of going all the way down into a squat, I'll do a jumping jack motion with my lower body to make it more cardio driven.
  • I DO NOT recommend this program to a female who only has a little bit of weight to lose and is looking to become toned.  I do think this program would work wonders for someone who is looking to lose a significant amount of weight, but this is not a toning program.

WEEK 7 INCENTIVE REWARD
I was supposed to get a new bikini this week, but the J. Crew seersucker bikini I'd been eyeing has been sold out in my size since May.  Disappointing.  So instead, I bought a new pair of jeans: Paige Premium Denim Hidden Hills.

Source

Source


















Normally, I'm a Citizens of Humanity girl, but I had gone shopping with friends Mrs. H and K and they convinced me to try on the Paige's which they both owned and raved on their fit.  And they were right - the jeans fit like a glove!  At least now I have a pair of jeans that fit around my man thighs ;)

Week seven down.  Two more to go!

21 comments:

Tracy Wood said... [Reply]

Who doesn't love new jeans! Good for you and keep up the great work! I am impressed!

Miss T said... [Reply]

wow! 7 weeks already? where is this year going. Yay for stranded stamina. I can barely jog to my mailbox ;)
keep it up Mrs S, you're tops!
Txx

Paula said... [Reply]

could it be the Insanity workout was invented for men? Looking at the commercial pictures with the guy posing I get the impression it is meant to build up muscles. What works for me is running, biking, sit-ups and swimming.
In this order. Swimming boosts the metabolism but too much swimming would make my back become too big. And the thighs, too. For my bodytype any cardio workout is the best, since I build up muscles really fast.
Did you post a "before" picture? I took a before photo (during Couch 2 5k, about week 4 or so) and I would feel too embarrased to show the "before". I am sure you are looking great!!! Toned from head to toe.

Hines-Sight said... [Reply]

Congrats on the jeans. Cute! I bought a pair of white paige jeans for summer, but haven't worn them much.

Keep up the good work.

Yadi I. @ShopCookMake said... [Reply]

This blog has inspired me to actually want to exercise. I've been feeling too lazy lately. Eating too much and not moving enough. Keep it up!

Sara Louise said... [Reply]

Yep, I learned this lesson too. Awhile ago I started doing a lot of squats to tone up my thighs and bum, well I did, by building muscle. Now I'm much bigger than I was before and need all new jeans. I'm jogging too to try and get rid of some of the bulk. A total pain in my petunia.

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Tracy Wood New jeans are the best! Since jeans are made for 7' tall women and, well, I am not 7' tall, I had to have them shortened. I picked them up yesterday and am thrilled to have jeans that fit!

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Miss T Yup. Seven loooooong weeks. Did I tell you that I'm starting to train for a 1/2 marathon?

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Paula No, Insanity was created for men and women, similar to P90X. I think it's designed more for people who have a considerable amount of weight to lose or those who want to bulk up. I had started Insanity to jump start my metabolism since running wasn't doing anything anymore and I think I succeeded on that account. I'm burning calories like crazy. So, I'm going to go back to my running routine and train for a 1/2 marathon that takes place in November.

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Hines-Sight If I had white jeans that fit, I would live in them for the entire summer! I think there's nothing cuter than a nice pair of white jeans, a cute top and a pair of Jack Rogers. Wear them proudly and think of me :)

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Yadi I. @ShopCookMake Thanks, Yadi! I became very complacent about exercising during the winter months and knew I had to do something about it. Despite the accidental bulking up, I feel healthy and really great. It's gotten to the point where I'm looking forward to my work-out!

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Sara Louise I hear ya! I'm so happy that I have some jeans that fit now. Now that I'm running again, I'm hoping my legs will slim down soon. I'm sure your petunia looks great ;)

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said... [Reply]

Man thighs! Hahahaha! You are soooooo funny.

Two fit and fun gals said... [Reply]

hey ive heard of the insanity workout- im not sure ic an keep up with it! haha but i certainly have gotten bigger thighs from doing too much exercise, i hate it :(

but, i know im fit, im healthy, and my diet is great, so im really proud of where im at and i try not to focus on the number on the scales as muscle weighs more then fat!

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Two fit and fun gals I agree! That's the right attitude to have.

Mark Tramontozzi said... [Reply]

My dearest sister. Thank you for lobbing me a softball to knock out of the park. But alas, I'll take the high road and use the post as a reason to tease you.

Your loving brother.

montanawildflower said... [Reply]

These are the best jeans ever and in white....oh to die for!!! Mrs. S, you look great in them!

Jen-uinely Inspired said... [Reply]

Good to know about the squats! I will remember NEVER to do them. LOL. I found that running slims my thighs and behind nicely, and I would hate to bulk them up with squats. Love the jeans!

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Mark Tramontozzi I would expect nothing less from you!!

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@montanawildflower Thanks for helping me pick them out!! It's been so hot lately, I still haven't had a chance to wear them. Although, I know the Cleveland cold is sure to return soon, so I won't complain about the unusually hot weather ;)

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Jen-uinely Inspired Mr. S and I both run, but I felt I needed to do something more to jump start my metabolism. I was starting to gain weight instead of maintaining. Squats, though - not a good idea! Today I officially start training for my 1/2 marathon. If that's doesn't slim my thighs, then I don't know what will!