Horseradish-Crusted Salmon | Recipe | The Hunger Games too

To date, I haven't written any controversial posts.  I haven't ranted or raved about anything on my blog.  I like keeping things light and fun.

Well, people...today is a new day.  Let the ranting begin.

Last night was the MTV Video Music Awards.  I watched them, not because I cared who won the awards, but I desparately wanted to see The Hunger Games sneak peak movie trailer. 

For those of you who don't know about The Hunger Games, it's a three-book series that is a mixture of suspense, love, war, and survival.  It's thrilling, thought-provoking, can-not-put-down-good.  Have you read the series?  If so, you understand why I'm obsessed.



If you haven't, here's the description for Book 1:

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts.  The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of 12 and 18 to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

16-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games.  But Katniss has been close to death before - and survival, for her, is second nature.  But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

Are you intregued yet?  You should be.  It is a fantastic read!


But back to my rant....

I watched the entire show.  All of it.  Every last second of it just to see the trailer.  I sat through:

1. Almost 2 hours worth of commercials - for every 5 minutes of award time, there was 10 minutes of commericals...for 2-1/2 hours of air time!!

2. Lady Gaga's weird man alter-ego thing.  Don't get me wrong, I'm a Lady Gaga fan.  But what was that about?!  Ok, fine.  Do it for the opening number.  But pretending to be a man for the entire show?  I know Lady Gaga is known for being out there, but this was way beyond what I could tolerate.  It was just too weird for me.  And honestly a little disappointing.  Her normal craziness is entertainment enough for me.

3. Really awkward and not funny announcers, like when Deena from Jersey Shore said that the Female contestants were "smooshalicious" and crickets could be heard.

4. Lil' Wayne's new song had so many curses that every other word got muted out so for those of us watching from home, we mostly heard silence with bursts of song here and there while watching Lil' Wayne jumping around the stage.  Note to MTV - maybe next year pick a performer/song appropriate for television.  It was like trying to hear someone on a cell phone with bad reception cutting in and out.

I suffered through all of that just to see The Hunger Games' movie trailer which was shown within the final minutes of the show.  And how long was this hyped-up, sneak peak movie trailer?  One minute.  One lousy minute. 

Maybe I'm cantankerous today because the movie trailer did not reveal much of anything.  If I hadn't read the books, I wouldn't even know what the movie is about.  I realize they are still filming, but this trailer had been so hyped up, it was a let down, at least for me.  I am still 100% going to see the movie in March 2012 and will drag Mr. Stranded with me because I know he will enjoy it.  But it was not worth staying up late and suffering through all of that garbage to see it.  But don't take my word for it.  See for yourself.






As for how to segue from the VMA's/Hunger Games to my salmon recipe??? I have no idea.  I've stumped myself.  So instead, I'll just tell you that we liked this salmon quite a bit.  Of couse, Mr. Stranded protested saying he wanted me to make salmon the same-old-boring-way, but then gobbled it up and said I could make this again.  This salmon was a breeze to make and one of my favorite salmon recipes thus far.

Horseradish-Crusted Salmon Recipe
Yields: 2 servings

2 salmon filets

1 Tbsp prepared horseradish
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1/4 plain breadcrumbs
1 Tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper

1. Preheat over to 500 degrees F.
2. Mix together horseradish and mustard.  Season both sides of filets with salt and pepper.  Brush the rounded side of the filets only with the horseradish mixture.  Sprinkle breadcrumbs over mixture until completely covered.  Press breadcrumbs lightly with fingers so that crumbs adhere to the horseradish mixture.
3. Add oil to a oven proof pan and place over High heat.  When oil is smoking, add salmon, mustard side down, and lower heat to Medium.  Cook 2 minutes until a nice crust if formed.  Using a plastic spatula, flip salmon and cook an additional 2 minutes.
4. Transfer pan to the oven.  Cook 4 minutes for medium doneness or 6 minutes for well-done.

14 comments:

Nicole said... [Reply]

The trailer gave me chills and the few notes from Rue's Song brought tears to my eyes. Buut - I watched it today. I didn't try and sit through all of that.

adrienne said... [Reply]

I watched about 3/4ths of that crap last night. The only performance I enjoyed was Beyonce's.
Lady Gaga's male impersonation was just plain weird. She must be trying to get into movies. I was looking forward to some cool getups from her later in the show but she just stayed in that dirty outfit all night.

That HG trailer was pathetic. What is the point of even airing it? It looks like it was thrown together in about 5 minutes.

Okay - enough griping from me.

Just moments ago, I finished preparing salmon filets for tonight - we usually have them on Mondays. I was going to just bake the filets with lemon and S & P, but now I'll make your dish instead. Thanks!

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Nicole Did I see the same trailer as you? I didn't hear Rue's four note song. Maybe you're right. Had I gone to bed and watched it this morning isntead of sitting through that nonsense, maybe I would have enjoyed it more.

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@adrienne Glad to know I wasn't the only one who felt like that! I kept waiting for Lady Gaga to change too and found myself becoming more and more annoyed each time I saw her in that disgusting man suit.

I liked Beyonce's and Adele's performances. Chris Brown wasn't bad either. The rest of the show was awful. Am I a grump tonight or what?

I'm glad you're going to try the salmon! It's so easy to make and has a nice flavor.

Sarah said... [Reply]

I loved this post with your raw opinions! Great writing!! I watched about fifteen seconds of the pre-show and was instantly reminded why I haven't watched it in years...
Gaga wore a man suit all night? Weird but typical.
On another note, you must tell me how you added that [Reply] option to your post comments. Does the comment author receive notification that you've responded? How does it work? I've been trying to find a good way to respond to comments for some time...

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Sarah Oh, Gaga didn't just wear a man suit all night, she pretended to be a man all night. Ridiculous.

I hadn't watched the VMAs in years and after this colossal waste of time, I don't think I will again. My sister-in-law was there, so I'll have to ask her if it was fun in person.

Regarding the [Reply] option, it's really easy to do. I emailed Adrienne the instructions sometime back. I'll forward them to you. I don't think people are emailed your response, though. They would have to sign up for it.

Adrienne said... [Reply]

Just made your dish tonight but all in the oven...my stove top is pristine right now and I didn't want to mess it up. It was super easy and very tasty. Bill loved it....ate 2 pieces :)

Gina said... [Reply]

I'll be on the look out for the movie, haven't had a chance to read the books yet; now that I'm semi-retired maybe I will have time, lol. Thanks for your sweet comment, I'll be checking in with you.

Jen-uinely Inspired said... [Reply]

I devoured and loved The Hunger Games as well, and am glad I didn't even hear about trailer being shown during the VMA's, otherwise I too would have sat through the entire show and been very cranky this morning! Sorry you had to suffer through that!

Hines-Sight said... [Reply]

I would be so disappointed by that clip. That is terrible.

I have missed all the VMA stuff. I really like Lady Gaga's music, and she makes me turn the volume up, but she is weird. I saw a 60 minute interview with her conducted by Anderson Cooper. It was really good, and she's a smart business person, but really...a man? Your post today was the first that I knew about that.

Great recipe. Leigh

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Adrienne I'm so glad you guys liked it! Wasn't it easy?

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Gina Definitely read the books! You won't be disappointed!!

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Jen-uinely Inspired I still can't wait for the movie. I just sent Books 2 and 3 to my colleague so she can hurry up and read them so we can discuss :)

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Hines-Sight I'm the same as you - blast her music, but find her weird. You're right though, she's a brilliant business woman. I'm surprised more people weren't weirded out by the man alter-ego thing.