Insanity Saturday Update | Exercise | THE END

I'm finally done with Insanity and I am thrilled to share the results with you!  This was an interesting 9 weeks and while on a weekly basis I wasn't seeing my desired results, taking a step back and reviewing the program in its entirety, I couldn't be happier.

I received a comment that Insanity is not meant for women.  And I'm here to tell you that it absolutely, 100% IS meant for both men and women.  Yes, my legs bulked up during the second month, but what was important is that I knew my body and I knew to make some modifications to get my desired results.  After my modifications, my thighs have already slimmed back down and they are way more toned than they were originally!  You can't argue with toned thighs!

But enough of me trying to convince you that Insanity is for women.  I'll let my results speak for themselves.

PROGRAM COMPLETION REFLECTIONS AND RESULTS
  • I'm baring it all and telling you my actual measurements.  Eek!  Keep in mind that even at my heaviest, I was still well within my height/weight range.  I mention this only because shedding pounds/inches when you're not technically overweight is challenging and I credit Insanity with this:
    • Weight: 119.2 lbs (started at 123.4 lbs)
    • Waist: 25-3/8" (started at 27")
    • Hips: 37-3/4" (started at 39-1/2")
    • Thighs: 22-1/4" (started at 22-1/2"; not significant, but they are toned now)
    • Calves: 14-3/8" (started at 15-1/2")
    • Knees: 15" (started at 15-3/4")
    • Bust: 34" (never took a before measurement, but I don't think it's changed)
    • Arms: 10-1/8" (never took a before measurement because my arms are tiny, but they're extremely defined now and my shoulders look great!)
  • I still want to lose additional inches off my thighs and hips, and I have another 5-6 lbs to lose, but my metabolism is on fire!  The weight seems to be melting off these days and I don't think it will be much longer before I've reached my goal.
  • My stamina, speed and endurance are through the roof.  Yesterday, Mr. Stranded and I ran 5 miles in 38 minutes.  Prior to Insanity, I was running 9-10 minute miles.  Now I'm running 7-8 minute miles.  My leg muscles are strong and ready for a 1/2 marathon!
  • Going into this program, I was looking at it as a way to lose weight.  I lost sight that Insanity is a total body make-over, getting me in the best shape of my life.  I'm not kidding - running 5 miles was like a walk in the park yesterday compared to what we normally endured with Insanity.  Neither Mr. Stranded nor I were winded after our run and both felt fantastic.
  • Would I recommend this program: Yes, I would.  But I would recommend it as a way to get your body back in its ultimate performance shape so that you can maximize your cardio work-outs later and burn calories faster. 
  • Do I want to do it again: Absolutely not.  I wouldn't mind repeating Month 1, but Month 2 was pure torture.  But I'm really happy that I completed this program.
PROGRAM COMPLETION INCENTIVE REWARD
Nothing.  I stopped caring about a reward.  The last few weeks I've been doing Insanity because I wanted to, not because of the reward.  Luckily, I had gone shopping, so there was always something to show you, but I didn't buy it specifically as an "Insanity Reward." 

I did buy a new pairs or running shoes a few weeks ago, though, that I hadn't shared with you.  With the training we'll be doing for the 1/2 marathon, I figured it was time I went to a running store and got my feet assessed.   There's something to be said about going to a local store.  They encouraged me to run in the sneakers outside the store before making a decision.  As much as I wanted a pair of Brooks, I couldn't deny that the Saucony's felt better on my feet.  And for the first time ever, I bought a pair of sneakers purely on how they felt and not on how they looked.  A big step for me!  And my feet has been insanely comfortable on our runs.

Source


I just want to take the time to say a big thank you to all of you who followed me on this journey!  Your comments and support spurred me on, especially on days I didn't have it in me to do an Insanity work-out.  Thank you, thank you, thank you to all of my blogging friends. 

1/2 Marathon - here we come!!!!  Week 1 down.  13 more to go!

11 comments:

Adrienne said... [Reply]

Yay! Good for you! I am very happy you successfully completed what would be to me pure torture :)

You will have no problem sailing through your half marathon. When is it?

Once again....good job! It must feel so exhilarating to be so fit. Hugs...A

Sarah said... [Reply]

Props to you! You've made me want to try it. Love the new kicks, too!

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Adrienne Thanks so much!! It feels good to know I'm on the right track again. I still have a ways to go, but I'm getting there! The 1/2 Marathon is on November 6th, so there's still 13 weeks left to train.

btw - you look dynamite in your new picture!

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Sarah Thanks!! The sneakers are so comfortable. You were totally right that having the right running shoes makes a huge difference!

Jen-uinely Inspired said... [Reply]

Dang girl! With 7-8 minute miles, you will have no trouble running the 1/2 marathon. My one piece of advice is to pace yourself. Don't start off too fast, even though you will want to. Keep running at your 7-8 minute mile pace and you will breeze through the 1/2! Gosh I miss running. I can't wait to run again after the baby is born. And congrats on completing the Insanity workout!

Paula said... [Reply]

Congratulations! You sound extremly motivated! You would not surprise mie if your were to run a full marathon in the near future.
hm hmmm, about the women and men - I will keep my mouth shut ;-) I guess what I lack is the insanity virus. Nevertheless, I finished Couch 2 5K, running 4km in 33 min. Yay, turtle-run. :-)

Enjoy your best shape ever!

Hines-Sight said... [Reply]

Congratulations! That is fantastic news. I am going to have to get my self motivated again. I was at 124, and now since blogging, and being on the go, and not really watching my food intake with not enough time to exercise well, it's creeping up. On hot, humid days in the south, I'm a good five pounds heavier. I want to get back to 124. I would have to get really serious to get down to 119. I don't have inanity in me though. That is awesome. I know you feel great.

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Jen-uinely Inspired Haha. I'll be honest, I think it was just optimal running conditions that day. It was late at night, so it wasn't hot, there was a nice breeze and we ran on a track. No inclines, no obstacles...just straight running. I was slowing down the last mile, so I don't think I would have been able to maintain that pace, but it still boosted my confidence. I was pretty psyched! Mr. Stranded ran about a 6 minute mile. He was smoking!

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Paula Congratulations to you! That's fantastic that you finished the Couch 2 5k program! I wasn't going to call you out on the women/men comment ;) But it was the perfect inspiration I needed to write my post, so thanks! :)

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Hines-Sight Thanks, Leigh! I hadn't measured myself the past three weeks, so I was shoked to see my results! It's the motivation I needed to keep me going. Insanity was torture. I'm sure there are easier ways to lose weight ;)

Lindsay said... [Reply]

Congrats Vaness!!!! Impressive! (though I thought you looked fantastic before).
p.s. are you sure your bust is only 34???! ;)