Insanity Saturday Update | Exercise | Week 8 Review

I completed Week 8 of Insanity.  But I completed it before going on vacation.  I feel so far removed from Week 8 that I don't even remember what I wanted to tell you about it.  Yikes!  I seriously hope that it's juste lack of sleep is what's making me so forgetful these days and not the brain cells that I drank away on vacation.

Here's what I can tell you.  Remember how after Week 7 I discovered I developed "man thighs?"  And remember how I was doing a modified Insanity workout where instead of doing jumping and squats, I was making it more cardio?  Well, that seems to be working rather well.  And because I was so pleased to see how much Insanity has improved my stamina, I decided to do my Insanity work-out in the morning and run a few nights a week.

And because I feel so good running and enjoy it SO much more than Insanity, I've decided to run a 1/2 Marathon in November!  Normally, Mr. Stranded and I run about 3-4 miles, depending on how hot it is outside, so 13.1 miles is a significant jump from our measly 4 miles.  But, I feel like we're in great shape, we're healthy, so why not try for it?!  We start training as soon as we're done with Insanity.

Source

Apparently, Insanity has made me insane!

 
WEEK 8 REFLECTIONS AND RESULTS
  • I completely forgot to measure myself before leaving for vacation and since I ate (and drank) A LOT on vacation, taking my measurements today wouldn't be accurate.
  • It took me 18 months to put on my finicky 10 lbs, so I kept reminding myself I wasn't going to lose it in 9 weeks.  But I've come to realize, I don't really care about losing the weight anymore.  I look good.  I feel great.  And I'm healthy.  Isn't that what's important?
  • Insanity has gotten me in the mindset of working out 6 days/week instead of 3.  And I've been pushing myself harder, so I do credit the program for that.

WEEK 8 INCENTIVE REWARD

I was so busy getting ready for vacation that I forgot about my incentive reward.  I know - what's gotten into me?  First I can barely remember Week 8 results and then I forgot about my incentive. 

I'm fessing up: I decided to go out to dinner with Mrs. H and K on Thursday night instead of packing.  It was supposed to be a quick bite out together, but there's no such thing with us.  So I had to quickly pack on Friday after work.  And packing for a family beach vacation is a lot of work.  Who would think that, right?  But anyone who has done it, knows what I'm talking about.  Who's bringing the chairs?  Who's bringing the canopy tent?  Who's bringing the meat slicer?  Who's bringing the water skis?  How about the rum?  Trust me - it's a lot of coordination and you don't want to be the one person who forgets their designated items.

So like a maniac, I was running around the house gathering our items, jamming them into my car and frantically trying to get it all done before Mr. Stranded got home from work.  Not that he'd care, but we had a 7 hour drive ahead of us to my parents house, before continuing the rest of the trip the following morning to Orient Point, so I didn't want to dilly-dally.

But don't worry.  I made up for it!  A few weeks ago my wallet fell apart and I am very particular about my wallet.  It must have the following components:

1. ID window
2. multiple credit card slots
3. minimum of 2 billfolds
4. exterior zip pocket
5. snap closure
6. check book holder

I stumbled upon this Kate Spade Stacy wallet and it had everything I was look for, and it was on sale, so it was a steal!  I was tired of my standard black wallet, so decided to mix things up a bit with this pretty yellow.  When I arrived back home from vacation, the wallet was waiting for me at my doorstep.  Yippee!  A nice surprise to get me over my post-vacation blues and I'm counting it as my Week 8 reward.





Mr. Stranded and I did not do Insanity on vacation.  We had every intention of doing it, but the house was not conducive to jumping around.  It's one thing to sound like stampeding elephants in the privacy of our home, but we couldn't subject the family to two hours of that every day.  So instead, we went for runs and they were delightful!

Week 8 down.  Only ONE more to go!!!!

8 comments:

Jen-uinely Inspired said... [Reply]

Congrats on 8 weeks! And on training for your first half marathon!! My husband ran our first half marathon 3 years ago and have since run a total of 6 half marathons. I plan to run more after the baby. You could say that they are a tad bit addicting! There's no other feeling like crossing that finish line :)

Jen-uinely Inspired said... [Reply]

That should read "my husband and I ran our first half...."

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Jen-uinely Inspired Mr. Stranded will have no problem - he's uber athletic. But I'm content with my 4 mile loop, so I'm not sure how I'll do increasing my mileage. I welcome any tips you can provide!

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said... [Reply]

I love the wallet! No more will I ever own a wallet that isn't some bright color. It is impossible to find dark wallets in dark purses with dark linings. In fact, this is one of my pet peeves, so it's best I just not get started. ;-)

annie said... [Reply]

Congratulations! You sound super motivated and that's a big part of it. I've never been a runner, but could not start my day without exercise. I do the Bar Method 5x a week, plus walk a few times a week. Do you have a bar method close to you? It's great with running. It's addictive, like running...but a great whole body workout.

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Pattie @ Olla-Podrida Thanks! When I was in NY, I always had a black wallet. I was worried about pick-pocketers and wanted to make sure my wallet was difficult to find. Now that I'm in Cleveland and don't ride the subway anymore, I'm not longer worried about such things. Why now make my wallet fun with a splash of color? I'm loving it so far!

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@annie No Bar Method locations here in Cleveland :( I'm almost done with Insanity (1 more day to go!) and then I'm going to incorporate Brazil Butt Lift to my running. There are different work-outs that I really enjoy: one is a total body sculpt (awesome workout for arms!), another is a Tummy Tuck (hardest ab workout I've ever done) and then the rest are specific to the legs.

I have to give credit to Mr. Stranded, though. I get lots of crazy ideas that I see through to the end and he's always willing to go along for the ride. So he did Insanity with me. Now he's going to train with me. He helps to keep me motivated and gives me the little bit of encouragement that I need.

Paula said... [Reply]

Hi! your experience with the Insanity workout somehow proves that I was not so wrong in the beginning, when I commented how I think this programme suits men better than women. Isn't it like men can't get enough muscle mass while women prefer to stay lean and lose weight? Cardio exercise, spiced with some high impact intervals is one of the post powerful tools to accomplish that goal.

I am done with the Couch 2 5K programme, Week 9 accomplished. I did not make it up to 5K though, I ran with the time-schedule, 30 mins was the longest in Week 9. Now I constantly add time, 10% per week, until I reach 5K. Should not take too long. Most importantly - I enjoy it. If you want to see where I run, you will find a photo-tour in my today's posting.