Thai Coconut Chicken Breast | Recipe | Easy Grilled Chicken Breasts

It's been hot here.  I mean really hot.  As in so hot, I didn't bother putting on make-up for fear it would melt off my face.  So hot that it smells like asphalt outside.  It's so hot that I put ice in my water.  Yup.  That's right.  It is THAT hot.

Turning on a stove or oven in this kind of heat would be like Japanese water torture.  I could just picture myself slowly melting away into a pool of sweat onto the floor.  It was the kind of hot where I would have been very content eating cold cereal for dinner. 

But instead, I made a Thai coconut marinade for some chicken breasts that required minimal effort.  Leigh, from Hines-Sight blog, is currently featuring a "Meal-Planning Made Easy" segment and asked me to participate.  This dinner could not have been easier, so this one's for you, Leigh!

http://www.hinessightblog.com/

While the chicken is on the grill, cook up some rice and make a side salad.  Viola!  Dinner's ready.

One tip that isn't in the picture is to slice the chicken breast into strips and then lay them on top of the rice and drizzle with the sauce.  The sauce/rice combo is phenomenal!  Don't skimp on the sauce.


Thai Coconut Chicken Breast Recipe
Yield: 4 servings

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 c light coconut milk
1/4 c low-sodium soy sauce
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1 Tbsp grated peeled fresh ginger or 1 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp Thai chile paste
1/2 tsp sugar
2 thinly sliced shallots
salt and pepper

1. Season chicken with salt and pepper on both sides.  Place in a zip-top plastic bag and set aside.
2. Combine coconut milk through shallots.  Reserve 1/2 c coconut mixture.  Pour remaining coconut mixture into the zip-top bag with the chicken and seal.  Place in the refrigerator and marinade for at least two hours.
3. Heat grill to Medium-High.  Spray grate with cooking spray.  Remove chicken from marinade and discard marinade in the bag.  Place chicken on preheated grill; cook for 7 minutes per side, or until done.  To ensure juicy chicken, flip the chicken just once.
4. Slice breast into strips (not pictured).  Serve with reserved coconut sauce.


Source: Adapted from Cooking Light

16 comments:

Hines-Sight said... [Reply]

That looks delicious. Thank you for sharing your recipe. I appreciate it. I can't wait to try this.

It's hot here, too. I did a fish from the link-up tonight.

Leigh

Adrienne said... [Reply]

I enjoy Thai food. But I don't like chicken lately - it's not appealing to me at all for some reason. Kinda weird.

So do you think this would work for a white fish or some other protein?

Gina said... [Reply]

Sounds really hot, luckily it hasn't been unbearable here. I Love the thai flavors here, perfect for a weeknight. Hope you stay cool.
-GIna-

Sara Louise said... [Reply]

I'm a sucker for anything that's 'thai coconut' :-)

Miss T said... [Reply]

so Im sat here (no, chained here) at my desk in the office, late at night, freezing and raining outside, starving and then you post this. Unfair Mrs S! (but lucious,....)
T x

Sarah said... [Reply]

Your recipes sure make me -- a non-cooker -- feel like cooking. :-)
This looks yummy!

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Hines-Sight No problem! Thanks for asking me to participate.

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Adrienne I go on and off chicken kicks too. When I do eat chicken, I prefer dark meat, but Mr. S prefers white because it's healthier.

The sauce is delicious, so I do think a white fish would be a good subsitution for the chicken. You just gave me a good idea to try it with tilapia :)

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Gina I woke up this morning and it was nice and cool. Still a little muggy, but at least it's not swealtering anymore.

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Sara Louise Ditto! Anything with coconut has my name on it.

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Miss T Sounds horrible! It cooled down overnight, but the rain is now suppossed to come. Just a couple more months and you'll be back to warm weather!

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Sarah Haha. The left-over chicken was really good in a salad the next day. I really liked the dish and will probably make this again soon.

Hines-Sight said... [Reply]

Hi, I just checked the link-up on my blog, and you weren't there so I linked you up so people could see your recipe. I linked to your main blog page though because it said it was over 100 characters. I'm continuing to promote the link all month.

Thanks again, Leigh

Hines-Sight said... [Reply]

You will have to teach me how to link up "printer friendly version."

Un-southern gentlement said... [Reply]

Mrs. Stranded - although this not "Mediterranean", I have turned a large contingency of my in-laws onto your blog to find great recipes to help them start eating better. Keep up the great posting.

Sarah said... [Reply]

Hello Mrs. Stranded!?!? Missing your blog... Hope all is well!