1/2 Marathon Training | Exercise | Week 2 Update

This morning, "The H's" and I participated in a 5k Race benefiting Operation Smile, a non-profit organization that provides free surgeries to repair cleft lips, cleft palates, and other facial deformities for children around the globe.  It's a phenomenal organization and wonderful cause to support.


I went to sleep last night dreaming of a carefree race on a bright, sunny Labor Day morning.  I woke up to a grey, cold, overcast day.  And by the end of the race, my mood matched the weather.

I finished the race (3.1 miles) in 29.51 minutes, which averages about 9.36 minute/mile.  What the hell?  I can run a 5k in my sleep.  So why was I so slow?!

The only thing I can think is that I'm training for a long-distance run where I've been trying to pace myself as not to expend too much energy at the beginning of the run.  I'm sacrificing speed for duration.  And somehow I forgot that I was only running 3.1 miles today and that's why I was so slow???....um, sure.  Whatever. 

Either way, I'm sullen and sulking.  And I keep waiting for Mr. Stranded to get home from work and cheer me up.  Oh, yeah.  I forgot to mention that Mr. Stranded had to work this weekend. So while I was running the 5k, I couldn't help but notice that I missed my running partner.  If Mr. Stranded were with me, he would have been pushing me a little harder, keeping me motivated and focused.  When The H's and I were all comparing times, Mr. H said, "[Mr. Stranded] would have smoked all of us."  But I responded, "No, I don't think he would have.  He would have held back and run alongside me."  And we all knew it to be true.  Because Mr. S is that kind of guy.  The kind of guy who would rather encourage me and help me achieve my personal best than his own. Can you tell that I missed him today?

But I need to get off my pity pot and realize that yes, my running time stunk, but at least I did something fun with my friends, supported a good cause and got a 5k under my belt which the 1/2 marathon training schedule requires me to do within the first month.  Besides, what kind of support would I be showing Operation Smile if I sat around with a frown on my face all day?

So, despite my lousy running time today, overall, I had a great week training.  Let's see what tip Sarah at Coffee & Cabernet has for us this week.


Week 2 Tip
Sarah said:  Understand that there will be good days and there will be bad days.  In the beginning, you will probably feel like you're on fire; especially if you enjoy running at the start.  When I ran my first 16 miler, I felt as if I could run another 10 afterwards.  Then, further into the training, we had a 12 miler and it was ALL I COULD DO to finish it.  If you start to feel like this -- let's say you're more than halfway through your training and a three miler feels like death -- understand that this is all part of the design.  You are essentially breaking your body down and building it back up again. 

Thanks, Sarah!  This will be something good to keep in mind.  Well, I'm not halfway through my training, but Friday was brutally hot here in Cleveland, 92 degrees.  I waited until about 8pm to run Friday night, but even that late, it was still hot and humid.  I'm not sure if it was because I was dehydrated or not, but after about 2.5 miles, I started to get a stitch under my right ribcage.  Anyone's who's gotten that ribcage stitch knows that it's difficult to push through.  I finished out my run, but it was anything but enjoyable.  Then on Sunday, I had a fantastic run.  So Sarah's right - there are good days and there are day days.  And I will try not to worry too much should there be a bad day here and there.  Try being the operative word!

Runner's Pick of the Week

Last week I told you how I like to prevent any premature aging by applying SPF 70+ Face sunblock lotion.  I don't just stop there in this mission.  I also wear the Nike Daybreak Women's Running Hat.  It's light-weight, comfortable, and keeps the sun (and any stray hairs) off my face .  It's made from dri-FIT fabric that wicks away sweat and helps keep my head cool.  It's become a staple in my running.
Source



 
 The race is on November 6th.  Here we come!

6 comments:

Paula said... [Reply]

Hey! I hope you feel better by now. A lacking running partner can ruin a run, no doubt!

I like the cap, I bought it for rainy days and never thought of wearing it to keep away the sweat. Yesterday I was sweating so heavy (running after a torrental rain), I thought I might try the rain cap on hot days and now I read that it's the way you use it.
:-)

Do you ever check your heart rate during a race? How high would it be?
I am afraid to go anywhere above 160.

PS: no way I would ever run as fast as you did! But I understand how you can not enjoy your running-time.

Nicole said... [Reply]

That's a pretty good time! I tend to run a 9-10 minute mile, so I think that's incredible that that's you ona slow day! And what you're doing is amazing!

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Paula You should definitely use the cap in the sun! It's fantastic! It keeps my head cool and I never run without it. Even when I ran at night the other day, I wore it. 1. Because it wicks away the sweat and 2. it has reflective stitching so cars can see me. That hat is the best!

I don't check my heart rate during a run, although it's not a bad idea.

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Nicole I run between 9-10 minutes on my long runs (6+ miles) as I try to pace myself. But I typically clock in at 8 min miles when running 4 miles or less. So it was a bit surprising and disappointing. But when Mr. Stranded got home, he said all the right things and made me feel a lot better. He reminded me that my goal for the 1/2 marathon isn't to finish in a certain time, but just to finish. So I shouldn't focus so much on my time and I should focus more on how my body felt during the run. The run was really easy and enjoyable, so I guess that's a good thing.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said... [Reply]

You are a wonder. You have to be so proud of yourself. Lord, with my heel spur I'm lucky to make it up and down the aisles of the local grocer.

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Pattie @ Olla-Podrida Your comment made me laugh :) All-in-all, it was a fun day with friends, so as my sweet hubby point out, who cares what my time was?