1/2 Marathon Training | Exercise | Week 3 Update

This morning Mr. Stranded and I ran 6 miles around Shaker Lakes.  I always look forward to our Sunday morning runs because that's when we see all of our fellow runners in the area.  There's a certain unspoken commradere between runners that leaves me with a warm feeling.  We always exchange a friendly nod, wave or "Good morning!"  We don't know each others names, where we each live or how many miles we're running, but the fact that we're awake early on a cool Sunday morning looking to get our run in shows that we share a common goal.  Today, we saw a woman with a water bottle strapped around her waist.  Super idea for our long runs!  I'm going to have to look into that holster strap product.

This week Sarah at Coffee & Cabernet had a tip I didn't remember, but now that my knees are starting to hurt, I doubt I will forget it in subsequent weeks.


Week 3 Tip
Sarah said:  Adhere to the mileage -- ESPECIALLY the less intense days.  Your body needs these less intense days and it also needs days of rest.  Be good to yourself so that you are strong in the end.  Regarding your questions about stamina, yes, it will naturally increase.  But, it is critical to follow your plan.  Don't just decide to bust out with an 8-miler before you've established a base.  By running a good baseline of miles/week (such as 15 miles per week, not including the long run) you will start to establish a really strong base.  Then, as the schedule indicates, you will begin to stretch yourself with respect to the long run.  But, you'll notice that the average miles throughout the week don't really change much.  Maybe your schedule has you doing, on average, 3 or 4 miles a day in the beginning.  By the end, it will probably only have you doing 5 or so.  It is the weekly long run that will steadily and most significantly increase BUT it is the consistent daily mileage that makes the long runs possible.  (In a nutshell, the endurance and stamina takes care of itself by following a good schedule.)

Thanks, Sarah!  I wasn't good at following your tip this week.  I simply forgot.  Each day that I ran this week, I felt like I had plenty of energy and kept going.  So much so, Mr. Stranded picked up the pace one day and I didn't complain even though I noticed.  I even ran on my rest day.  But now that I'm sitting here typing this post, I noticed my knees are feeling a little sore.  I see what you mean about needing to give my body a chance to rest and recover.  I certainly won't forget this tip in the weeks to come!

Runner's Pick of the Week
I'm going to stick with the face products and talk about sunglasses this week.  When I was a senior in college, my dad was diagnosed with Drusen, essentially it's a pre-cancerous spot on his eye.  It was developed over years of squinting into the sunlight during his morning commute.  There's not much they can do to treat it, but thankfully the spot has remained pre-cancerous to this point.  Ever since then, I've become obsessed with protecting my eyes and wear sunglasses whenever I'm outside.

I have a pair of Jackie O style sunglasses that I wear whenever I'm outdoors, but when running, I wear these Panama Jack Perdido sunglasses.  They're a cheap, junky pair that do the trick.  The rubber temple helps the glasses cling to my head, they're lightweight, comfortable, shatterproof and offer 100% UV protection.


I have my eyes set on these (no pun intended), but with the steep price tag, I may be waiting a little while!

The race is on November 6th.  Here we come!

2 comments:

Sarah | Coffee and Cabernet said... [Reply]

There is DEFINITELY an unspoken commraderre among runners. It's wonderful and motivating!

Jen-uinely Inspired said... [Reply]

Sarah is giving you good advice. I tried running with one of those water belt things, but found that my husband makes a much better water Sherpa. Hehe.