1/2 Marathon Training | Exercise | Week 4 Update

The temperature has been steadily dropping in Cleveland and as previously mentioned, I don't tolerate the cold well at all.  Just a couple of weeks ago I was running in 92 degree heat.  This week was in the 50's.  But after the purchase of some new long-sleeved running shirts, I was comfortable and found running to be considerably easier when not battling the heat. 

We ran a total of 18 miles this week, with a long run of 6 miles this morning.  And what a crazy morning it was!  We had invited some friends over to celebrate all of the September birthdays (more to come on that later).  After some scheduling conflicts, we had a last minute change of plans that landed the party to 1pm this afternoon!  I woke up early, started off the day with our 6 mile run, showered, changed and then hit the kitchen.  Knowing I had guests coming in a few hours got my legs pumping faster than ever!

All in all, it was a great week for running.  Let's check in to see what tip Sarah at Coffee & Cabernet had for us.


Week 4 Tip
Sarah said:  Try not to run too hard just before a long run.  My long runs were always on Saturday morning.  Therefore, I would plan my weekly runs in a manner that allowed me to be rested for them.  For example, Thursday was ALWAYS a rest day and Friday was ALWAYS a very easy run at, what we called, a garbage pace.  The day before you have a long run, you simply need to go out, get the blood flowing and allow your muscles to warm up.  For a 1/2, this will probably be 2-3 miles or so.  The good thing is, most training schedules follow this type of approach, so the plan you have will likely set you up for this kind or rest prior to a long run.
 
Thanks, Sarah!  Since all of our races are scheduled for Sundays, we set up our schedule so that our long runs take place on Sundays, with a rest day on Saturday.  Our schedule is as follows:  Tuesday - 4.5 or 5 miles, Wednesday - 3 miles, Friday - 4.5 or 5 miles, Saturday - rest and Sunday - long runs.  Monday and Thursday are stretch and strength-training days.  Do you think we should do our 3 mile run on Fridays instead or ok to keep at Wednesdays?  What do you think?
 
Runner's Pick of the Week
I mentioned at the beginning of the post that I bought a few new long-sleeved running shirts.  Ok, so I went a little crazy, but I found these at The Rack so I really scored big!  I bought new tights, long-sleeved shirts and top-layer jackets.  And I bought them in a bunch of colors - pink, blue and black.  So far I've only needed the base layer, but it's nice to know I have the jacket when the time comes.
 
The new tights and long-sleeved tees are amazing!  The shirts have thumb holes that bring the shirt down over my palms keeping my hands warm.  The ClimaCool fabric somehow manages to keep my body warm, but not overheat.  So glad I picked these up!
 
Source

Source

Source

The race is on November 6th.  Here we come!

4 comments:

Sarah | Coffee and Cabernet said... [Reply]

Your schedule sounds just fine. There will be differences between what I did for a full and what your 1/2 marathon schedule calls for. I've never followed a 1/2 schedule, so my estimations might be off here and there. I know you despise the cold, but it makes for fabulous running weather. My favorite running environment is about 57 degrees, in the morning, when the sun has just come up. Ahhhhh...perfection!

Paula said... [Reply]

November 6 - that will be the last day of my 2-week-holiday. I would love to see your finisher-photo, hopefully someone will take a photo! The long-sleeves-shirts are the best. I never feel as sportive as when wearing those shirts, don't know why. Somehow they add some coolness. yay!

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Paula I already enlisted my friend to come cheer us on and take our photo. I'll email it to you. And I totally agree with you on the coolness factor! I feel that if I dress the part, I'm more motivated to run my best. Stupid, I know, but it works!

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Sarah | Coffee and Cabernet I decided that my favorite running temperature is 70 degrees. Yesterday was 70 and I ran with a long-sleeved shirt. That's how much I hate the cold! But I was comfortable running with a long-sleeved shirt in 70 degree weather. Am I pathetic or what?!