1/2 Marathon Training | Exercise | Week 5 Update

I woke up this morning and didn't want to run.  Even though it was a beautiful sunny day, my body wasn't up to the task.  I hate to admit this, but my knees...they hurt.  I figured if I ignored it long enough, maybe my lack of attention would make my knee pain lose interest in me and go away.  Nope.  No such luck...It's not terrible yet, but certainly uncomfortable.

So, I lay pouting in bed telling Mr. Stranded that I wished I had never told anyone I was training for a 1/2 marathon so I could just quit and give up.  He started laughing, I mean really laughing.  He sat on the bed and very sweetly said that even if I hadn't blogged about this, I still wouldn't quit because that's not my personality.  And he's right.  I'm not going to quit over a little knee pain.

So, I got up.  Got dressed.  Stretched.  And off we went for our long run.  And yes, my knees did hurt during the run, but it was a really nice, enjoyable run otherwise.  And I was glad that we went!  And Mr. Stranded reminded me that just because my knees hurt, didn't mean I had to give up.  It just meant I needed to do a better job about icing my knees.  Lesson learned.  So, I'm double-tasking now, icing my knees as I type this post!  Overall, we ran a total of 19 miles this week with a long run today of 7 miles. 

Let's see what tip Sarah at Coffee & Cabernet has for us this week.
 

Week 5 Tip
Sarah said:  Try not to be too competitive (with others or yourself), listen to your body and remember that, for the most part, it isn't about how fast you go but, rather, completing the distance.   (Over doing it can also invite injury.)


Thanks, Sarah!   I'm definitely getting better about this, especially on our longer runs.  I'm not as focused on time anymore and I try to maintain a pace that will avoid any stitches under my right ribs.  So far I've been really happy about the distances we've completed and feel motivated to keep going.

Runner's Pick of the Week
I picked up these socks accidentally when at the Nordstrom Anniversary Sales this summer.  And I'm so glad I did!  I never knew I could feel so passionately about a pair of socks!  They are incredibly comfortable and I can feel a noticeable difference when I run with and without them. 

These Nike Dri-Fit Cushioned Running Socks have a left/right sock allowing for a custom fit.  The grey area is an arch compression and provides support like no other sock I've worn.  The Dri-Fit fabric wicks away sweat, helping to keep my feel cool and prevent blisters.  And the extra cushioning allows for a softer impact.  The socks are a little pricey at $8/pair, so I only wear them running although I wish I could wear them all the time!


Source



3 comments:

Sarah | Coffee and Cabernet said... [Reply]

Blasted knee pain... Have you heard of the RICE method? Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. For nursing injury/agitation, it will be your best friend. I was an ice batch junkie after our long runs...it was miserable, but helped me recuperate like a champ. Congrats on the seven miler. Remember, 7 miles is a big deal. The distances of your long runs have moved beyond that of an average runner! That's something to be proud of.

Paula said... [Reply]

I am sorry to read about the aching knees. Did you check your shoes? Maybe you need a different support? I am not so sure, if it is a clever idea to continue while it hurts. A colleague of mine ruined he knee that had been aching before during a marathon, now he needs surgery.

I don't want to discourage your but I don't see a sense in ruining the body for the sake of sports. Sure, I am a 5-miler, always staying in the safe zone.
With a mild pain I would take some anti-infalmmatory drugs.

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Paula Paula, thanks for your concern, but I'm in good hands. Mr. Stranded is a doctor and monitors my health carefully. For the type of pain I'm feeling, I just need ice. Congrats on making it to the 5 mile mark. The last update I received, you were tackling a 5k. Some great improvement! Congrats.