Autumn Birthday Table Décor | Orange Dahlias Centerpiece | Birthday Napkin Rings

I had originally intended for this party to take place the last weekend in September, but due to some last minute scheduling conflicts, we celebrated a week early.  Given the shortened timeline, I took more of a simplistic approach with the décor.

In addition to celebrating the September birthdays, I also wanted to welcome Autumn and introduce splashes of orange wherever possible.  Getting ready for this party was easy-peasy!

Place Setting: Back in May, I confessed that I own five different dinnerware sets because admittedly, I have issues.  Well...you may recall that I bought another set at an estate sale during the summer (see here.)  When I brought home the set, Mr. Stranded rolled his eyes and said, "Another set?!"  I explained that unlike many of our other formal sets, these could be thrown in the dishwasher and would minimize the clean-up.  Plus, it loosely reminded me of Lenox's Autumn pattern and could be used for our September Birthday Bash party.  True to my word, I pulled out the "new" set for the party.  Given that two of the guests of honor were male, I was happy to see that the plates gave the table a more masculine feel.

For the table linens, I used a tan, textured tablecloth to match the tan in the dishes. The warmness of the tan also complimented the orange accents of the centerpiece.  I had wanted to use orange cloth napkins but didn't have any, so went with white ones instead.  Not my first choice, but good enough.  Each of the guests of honor received a birthday card as well.  I wish I could say that I had planned the orange envelope, but that was dumb luck!


Centerpiece: I was thrilled to discover that when you have busy patterned dishes, very little is needed to adorn the table.  I placed a bouquet of orange dahlias in a crystal vase and that was it.  Turned out to be the simplest centerpiece thus far, but the orange really popped and looked great.
 

Place Cards: I didn't have much time to think about the place cards, but one of the birthday boys once commented that he likes to see what place card I'll do next.  I quickly designed a "button" and made some napkin holder place cards.  So simple and easy!  I'll post instructions later in the week.


Hors D'Oeuvre Table: There was nothing special to the Hors D'Oeuvre table.  I used a French blue linen tablecloth given to me by my aunt and made sure to have a few orange accents within the food to add a little color.   If you'd like to see the Autumn menu, click here.


While I do enjoy planning a party and normally spend weeks selecting every last detail, there's something nice about keeping things simple every once in a while.  It really made for a relaxing, enjoyable Sunday afternoon.

3 comments:

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said... [Reply]

I love the napkin buttons. Can't wait for the tutorial. Very clever!

Tracy Wood said... [Reply]

Since you are in the confessing mood, I, too, will confess that I own 5 sets of dishes also... is that bad? I love the orange touch (in fact, one of my set of dishes is orange with yellow trim - too cute!)

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Tracy Wood Is that bad? Not at all! But then again, you're talking to a girl who now owns six sets! Your yellow and orange dishes sound cute!