Brie en Croute | Recipe | Baked Brie in Pastry Puff

When Mr. Stranded and I first started dating, he claimed he couldn't stand brie cheese.  He's not a finicky eater by any means, but he didn't like the way brie smelled and so he was turned off to the thought of it.  Had he ever tried it?  No.  But he knew he wouldn't like it.

Fast forward to my birthday, the first time I had introduced Mr. Stranded to my parents.  We had gone out with my friends, cousins and brother to celebrate the night before....and suffice it to say we felt miserable the next day.  My mother had laid out an elaborte feast for us.  I'm not kidding when I say there must have been at least 15 different hors d'oeuvres for the two of us to choose from followed by a seven course meal.  My mom likes to tell people what to eat and kept insisting that Mr. S put some brie (regular brie, not en croute) on a cracker.  He politely declined, eating the other 14 items.  After the fifth time Mr. Stranded refused the brie, my mom said, "What's the matter?  You don't like cheese?"  If I didn't already feel like I was going to throw up on my mother's oriental rug, I did now.  Great first impressions for both of them!  Luckily they've moved past the cheese and are now two peas in a pod.

Fast forward to our very first Thanksgiving together as husband and wife.  We had hosted Thanksgiving in Cleveland and I decided to make Brie en Croute for the rest of my family.  When Mr. Stranded saw all of enjoying the ooey, gooey goodness that comes with melted brie, he felt he was missing out and should try it.  And guess what?  He liked it!  He really like it!  Mr. Stranded will still only eat brie in this manner, but he regularly requests this dish when we entertain during the colder months.

I'm bummed that I forgot to take a picture once we cut into this so you could see the ooey, gooey goodness.  But I make it often enough that I'll try to remember next time.  I also forgot to put the red grapes on the platter.  Looks pretty together and the grapes taste wonderful with the brie.

Baked Brie en Croute Recipe
Yields: 6 servings

1 sheet Pillsbury seamless dough sheet
1 small wheel of Brie cheese, approx 6 inches in diameter
1 egg yolk beaten with 1 Tbsp water to create an egg wash
red grapes, for garnish (optional)
French baquette, sliced into 1/4" pieces

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. 
2. Roll out dough and cut in a circle, approx 9 inches in diameter.  Do not discard scraps.  Place brie in the center of the dough.
3. Brush edges of dough with egg wash and fold edges over cheese.  Press to seal.
4. Roll out dough scraps.  Using cookie cutters, cut out shapes to decorate.  Brush the under surface of the decorations with egg wash and adhere.  (If preparing in advance, cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate.  Can be prepared to this point up to 2 days in advance.)
5. Brush entire dough surface with egg wash.  Place in oven and bake 35-45 minutes, until dough is golden and puffed up.
6. Remove from oven and let sit for five minutes before serving.  Place on serving platter and garnish with red grapes.  Serve with French baguette slices.

9 comments:

Adrienne said... [Reply]

I am glad you opened Mr. S's eyes to the fantastic-ness that is brie. If you two end up going to Paris to see your relatives, be prepared for a much more "fragrant" brie than what we get around here.

I bought some very small rounds - 3"? at Costco (there are 4) and they need to be used up soon. I don't even know why I bought them - I guess I thought I'd be having a party or something. Maybe I will make a mini-brie en croute this weekend to celebrate the arrival of my favorite season and the arrival of our new-to-us hot tub!

xo, A

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said... [Reply]

This looks beautiful! I love the addition of the leaves. Last year at the end of the season I snagged a set of leaf cutters half off at Williams-Sonoma, and have been dying to use them ever since. I see a baked brie in my future. I generally use puff pastry though -- do you find the pie crust to be better/easier to work with?

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Pattie @ Olla-Podrida Pattie, that's where I got my leaf cutters too! You'll be seeing quite a bit of them this Autumn. I use them to make lattice pie crusts, make leaf crisps and decorate everything from brie en croute to Beef Wellington. I'm sure you'll fall in love with these just as I did!

To answer your question, I use the seamless dough because it's closer to a bread than the pastry puff. For me, the brie is decadent enough, so I like the combination of the brie with the bread. But I've used pastry puff too. Both are great!

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Adrienne A hot tub - very fun! I hope you enjoy it!!

montanawildflower said... [Reply]

I absolutely LOVE this appetizer and first had it a couple of years ago at a dinner party. I had requested the recipe but never received it. I'm crazy enough just to make this for dinner one night! Balanced - no! Enjoyable and indulgent - yes!!

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@montanawildflower Haha. I'm glad you liked it! You'll be eating it at lot more at our house now that the weather is getting colder. And we can try different varities such as brown sugar, mushrooms or jam next time too.

Margot said... [Reply]

This looks heavenly! I didn't think it could taste better, but with those leaf cut-outs it must be so. Yum!

Hines-Sight said... [Reply]

That looks great. Really, really good.

Hope you have a good weekend.

Hines-Sight said... [Reply]

PS. When you have time, will you e-mail me how you set up "printer friendly" recipes. That's a neat technique, and I'm clueless.