Orecchiette with Sausage and Broccoli Rabe | Recipe | Quick & Easy

I know there will be a collective gasp when I make the following statement, but... I HATE the Fall.  As in loathe it. 

I've never cared for the Fall.  I don't tolerate cold weather very well.  I find it cumbersome to carry a jacket around wherever I go and I find raking leaves to be a colossal waste of time.  Dry, flaky pine cones and acorns do nothing for me by way of decorating and I have never liked trick-or-treating.  I used to ask my mom why she couldn't just give us the candy instead of making us beg for it.  Yes, that's how much I hate the Fall.

But if I stop to think about it, I think the real reason I hate the Fall is because of what's to follow.  Winter.  But not just any winter.  Cleveland's never-ending, snow-filled, want to scream by the time February hits winter.

You should fully expect me to be Grumperella over the next few weeks. 

I spent last night feeling cold, sad and alone.  I'm a fiercely independent person, so it's very unlike me to get lonely or mind spending some time by myself.  But the combination of my lousy run time, the grey, cold day, and knowing that Fall is knocking on our door made me long for the one person who can put a smile on my face just by saying my name - you guessed it: Mr. Stranded.

Mr. Stranded had spent the entire long-weekend working and I was eagerly waiting for his shift to be over and come home.  And since I wanted Mr. Stranded to know just how much I missed him and how excited I was to see him, I made his favorite dinner.  No, not Beef Wellington.  His second favorite dinner - Orecchiette with Sausage and Broccoli Rabe. 

You see, there are very few foods I don't like: scrambled eggs, sausages and shellfish - although I'm allergic to shellfish so that doesn't really count.  And since I don't like sausages, I rarely cook them.  To the point where the last time I cooked this dish was almost a year ago on Mr. Stranded's birthday because he requested it.

But I will admit that after a chilly day, this dish hit the spot!

Orecchiette with Sausage and Broccoli Rabe Recipe
Yields: 4 servings

1 lb dried orecchiette
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
½ lb sweet sausage, casings removed
½ lb hot sausage, casings removed
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1/4 c white wine

1 bunch broccoli rabe, trimmed and chopped into 3 inch pieces
4 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
1 c chicken stock
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (more or less depending on your own spice level)
½ c Parmigiano reggiano, grated, plus more for serving
salt


1. Bring water in a large pot to a vigorous boil;  Add a generous amount of salt.  Add pasta and cook 8-10 minutes until just short of al dente. NOTE: Add broccoli rabe to the boiling water with the pasta 3 minutes before the pasta is cooked.  Let it all cook together, uncovered, until the broccoli is bright green and tender, but not mushy
2. While water is coming to a boil, heat large sauté pan over medium heat.  Crumble sausage into the pan, breaking it up with a spoon into bite-sized chunks.  Allow the sausage to cook through until it is no longer pink.
3. Add tomato paste and cook a minute or two longer.  Add wine and stir.  Remove sausage with a slotted spoon and set aside.
4. Add the smashed garlic cloves to the reserved pan and cook until soft and lightly browned.  With the edge of a spoon, smash the garlic cloves a little more until they form a coarse paste.
5. Add chicken stock, red pepper flakes and cheese to the garlic.  Stir and bring to a simmer.  Remove from heat.
6. Drain the pasta and broccoli rabe.  Combine with cheese sauce and sausage. 
7.  Sprinkle Parmigiano reggiano on top and serve.

Printer Friendly Recipe

4 comments:

Sarah | Coffee and Cabernet said... [Reply]

You are SOOOO right about the end of winter. Come March, I LITERALLY feel like pulling my hair out when I walk outside. "If I get hit in the face with another below freezing wind, so help me..."
;-)

Margot said... [Reply]

Hi Stranded! :) Thank you so much for your sweet post and for stopping by. I love your blog and look forward to keeping up with your yummy recipes and crafty ideas!

Nicole said... [Reply]

Unfortunately, I like the fall and I like the winter up until Christmas is over and then I'm over it. Angry over it. But I'm nauseating up until that point.

But anyway - I LOVE Broccoli Rabe. Love it. Reminds me of my grandmother.

Hines-Sight said... [Reply]

This looks great. You should link it up on my meal-planning link. I am going to have to try this.

I like fall. I don't rake leaves though.