More Than "Cake" Cupcakes | Recipe | Vanilla Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting

Here's another wonderful recipe from guest blogger Mrs. H.  Absolutely delicious!

Along with the peach crisp, we had to have birthday cake.  Or at least something that could hold birthday candles for the birthday folks.  Cupcakes were an easy and quick solution.  The yellow cake with chocolate frosting was requested by Mr. H.  It's his favorite and it's so much fun making him excited!  :)

There's a yellow version and a chocolate version to this recipe.  I've tried both and both are equally delicious.  I'm sure any combination of cake and instant jello could be used to make endless varieties.  This recipe makes 12 large cupcakes.  You'll need two 6 large cupcake pans.

More Than "Cake" Cupcakes Recipe
Yields: 12 large cupcakes
1 package yellow cake mix
1 package (4 serving size) instant vanilla pudding
4 eggs
8 oz sour cream
1/2 c vegetable oil
1/2 c water


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
2. Lightly grease pans or use muffin cups. 
3. Beat ingredients until well blended, at least 3 minutes (in kitchenaid). 
4. Bake 50 minutes to 1 hour.  Frost as desired. 

Chocolate version:
  • substitute 1 package chocolate cake mix (I used Devils Food)
  • substitute 1 package instant chocolate pudding
  • mix in chocolate chunks



3 comments:

Tracy Wood said... [Reply]

These are such beautiful cupcakes! I love that they have sour cream, I mean, come on! Talk about moist and delish! Have a great weekend Mrs. Stranded!

Paula said... [Reply]

Hello!

I would like to try this recipe, I love anything that comes with vanilly pudding.

Only the yellow cake mix is nothing I am familiar with, I don't live in the USA. How can I substitute it with normal dough?
How much dough would I need and which dough is recommended?
Thank you!

Hines-Sight said... [Reply]

Hope you are enjoying your time away.

Love this recipe.