1/2 Marathon | Exercise | WE DID IT!

Today was the 1/2 Marathon and....WE DID IT!  Mr. Stranded and I ran the Inland Trail 1/2 Marathon in Elyria, OH this morning and what a fantastic morning it was all-around.  To start, we lucked out with gorgeous weather.  It was a chilly, blue-sky, sunny day - absolutely perfect for running.  The Inland Trail is a narrow, paved path that crosses through farm-land.  The race was on the smaller side and the runners were spread out.  It was extremely quiet and peaceful as we made our way, mile by mile, to the finish line.

Source

As for the running, I could not have asked for a better run.  The first seven miles flew by and I felt fantastic!  The last 6.1 miles were great as well, although I became more aware of completing each mile.  Our run was so enjoyable that Mr. Stranded and I even found ourselves chit-chatting!  We discussed my new play list (and Mr. Stranded had to remind me to stop air-playing the drums and busting dance moves, and to conserve my energy,) how we needed to rake leaves when we got home, what we wanted to eat after the race, how Mr. Stranded felt like Forrest Gump running through the farm-land...things of that nature.  As you can see, it was a very relaxed and pleasant run.

And as we ran, I couldn't help but think of my father-in-law, who passed away almost two years ago.  I recently learned that he had also run a 1/2 marathon and I smiled thinking he was probably watching us and cheering us on.  When I told Mr. S what I was thinking, he smiled, agreeing that it was very likely.  The thought kept me motivated and it was nice knowing that he was there to witness our accomplishment.

When I started this challenge, I had two goals:  my primary goal was the run the entire half-marathon without stopping or walking.  My secondary goal was to run an average of a 10 minute mile.  I'm happy to say that I achieved my primary goal of running the entire half-marathon with no problem whatsoever!  As for my secondary goal, while the official time results aren't out yet, I didn't quite make it, but I was SO close!  We completed the 1/2 Marathon in 2 hours and 15 minutes, which averages to 10 minutes and 17 seconds per mile.  You know what this means, don't you?  I'll have to run another 1/2 Marathon to meet that goal!

This experience was truly wonderful.  I enjoyed myself through all of it - the aches, pains, scheduling conflicts, beautiful days, cold days, chats with Mr. Stranded as we ran each night, pushing myself each week with the long runs...every aspect of it.  I am so happy that I gave this a try.  And I'd be remiss if I didn't thank my wonderful hubby for not only supporting me for another one of my crazy projects, but joining me and encouraging me.  And thank you to all of you for checking in and motivating me with your comments.


As for a full-marathon?  I don't think so.  I'm really happy with the 1/2 Marathon.  But then again, who knows?!  I'm keeping the door open for now...

10 comments:

Sarah | Coffee and Cabernet said... [Reply]

YAY! Awesome job, you two! It sounds like a text-book-perfect kind of race, to me. What a wonderful first experience. ...there's nothing like committing to a challenge, working hard and seeing it through to the finish line. Congrats!

Hines-Sight said... [Reply]

Congratulations!

Your hard work paid off.

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Sarah | Coffee and Cabernet Thank you! And thanks for all of the tips you gave me at the start. They helped a lot!

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Hines-Sight Thanks so much! This was such a great experience. I'm looking forward to doing another.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said... [Reply]

Congratulations! That's impressive,and I'm proud of you.

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Pattie @ Olla-Podrida Thanks! I'm still excited by yesterday's results.

Lindsay said... [Reply]

Congratulations on an amazing job!!! I can't imagine what it must feel like to accomplish a goal like a half-marathon! and I love how you said in your more recent post how you "threw together" a pie after your half marathon! Now you're just showing off ;)

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Lindsay Thanks, hon! It was a great experience. If you lived closer, I'd whip you up a pie too!

Jen-uinely Inspired said... [Reply]

How did I miss your 1/2 marathon post? I'm so glad it went well and smoothly. Congrats! And great time! I'm with you the full. I think a half is the perfect race. My husband sent me a link just this morning to a half marathon next August, which will be roughly 8 months after the baby is born. We will see if I can pull it off!

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Jen-uinely Inspired The 1/2 Marathon post got lost in between the recipes ;) I am already planning to run another 1/2 Marathon in May. As for your 1/2 Marathon, I'm sure you'll be able to pull it off!!!