Apple, Fennel and Celery Root Stuffing | Recipe | Apple and Shallot Dressing

I like stuffing.  Pretty much all stuffing so long as it doesn't have sausage in it.  And I like shallots, fennel, celaaric, and apples.  So not being particularly attached to any one stuffing recipe, I gave this Williams-Sonoma recipe a try.  And I thought it was good!  This stuffing was on the sweeter rather than savory side, but looking at the ingredients, it's really no surprise.

I suppose this should technically be called Dressing instead of Stuffing since this isn't stuffed into the turkey.  You could stuff this into a turkey, but I choose not due to the bacteria inside the turkey's cavity.  If cooked correctly, the bacteria should be killed during the cooking process, but I don't like taking that chance.  Plus, a stuffed turkey takes longer to cook.  Aren't a few hours long enough?!

Apple, Fennel and Celery Root Stuffing Recipe
Yields: 8-12 servings

1-lb loaf French bread, cut into 1/2" pieces
4 Tbs unsalted butter
10 shallot, pelled and cut into 1/2" thick slices
1 funnel bulb, trimmed and cut into 1/2" dice
1 celery root, peeled and cut into 1/2" dice
1-1/2 c coarsley chopped walnuts, toasted
2 Fuji or McIntosh apples, peeled, cored and coarsley chopped
1/2 tsp finely ground coriander
2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
2 tsp fresh sage, chopped
1 c golden raisins
3-4 c milk

1. Spread bread cubes out on a baking sheet and let dry overnight.
2. Melt butter in a large skillet over Medium heat.  Add shallots and saute, stirring occasionally, until shallots are tender and golden, approx 8-10 min.  Add fennel, celery root, walnuts and apple; saute an additional 4 minutes or until fennel is tender.  Season with salt and pepper.
3. In a large bowl (or stock pot), combine the dry bread and shallot mixture.  Add coriander, thyme, sage, raisins and 3 c milk.  Stir gently to combine.  Let stand 30 minutes.  If the stuffing looks a little dry, add a little more milk.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Transfer stuffing to a greased 13x9 baking dish and bake until browned and crispy, about 1 hour.

MAKE-AHEAD TIP: The shallot mixture can be made one day ahead and stored in the refrigerator.  Steps 3 and 4 should not be done in advance.


Source: Williams-Sonoma

5 comments:

Paula said... [Reply]

Hi! The idea that you eat stuffing as a dish and not stuffed inside something else is funny! I found out about it one year ago, reading a Jamie magazine.

I need to come back to you - last week I had my first runs at 0°C. Wow, it's more difficult than I thought to stay warm but not too warm! The first run had to be cancelled after 30 minutes because I was sweating like inside a sauna.

I already know a few things:
I DON'T need winter-running-shoes as long as it is dry: thicker socks kepp my feet perfectly warm.

I DO need winter running tights, the combo hiking-pants with some long thermo-tights underneath is only fine during the first 30 minutes of the run.

I DO need running gloves. Silk gloves are nice, but not functional at all.

I DO need a thermo-active beanie which is light! The windstopper I once bought is too tight and thick, the knitted beanie is just not functional (wet forehead after 10 minutes), the headband does not provide enough warmth.

I DON'T need a soft shell. Layering underneath the thin windstopper works fine.

I WON'T run 3-4 times a week but only 2, max. 3 times, since I noticed the low temperatures stress my nose and throat.

The park I use to love during summer-months is NOT nice in November: as if it weren't clammy in the streets at night already, the park is even more humid, foggy and totally clammy. A no go area!

I DO wish to get up so early I could run in daylight, before work and not at 7pm in the dark.

I guess you will continue running throughout winter, too? I would love to read about your strategies and how you adapt to cold temperatures and less daylight!

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Paula I don't like the potential risk of turkey bacteria spreading to the stuffing - I guess that's what happens when you're married to a dr. He makes me paranoid about these things! So I cook it separately.

As for the running, I'll run outdoors until it starts to snow. Now that I have the right cold-weather running gear, the cold doesn't seem to bother me anymore. I got a Nike running ear-warmer headband (not sure of the real name), but it's all I need along with my normal running cap to keep my head warm.

I'm bummed that they changed the clocks because it's too dark for me to run after work. So I've been running in the mornings. Not my ideal situation, but it seems to be working out ok. I find that I have more energy during the day when I start off with a run.

We own a treadmill, so I'll run indoors once it starts snowing, although I HATE using the treadmill. I bought Brazil Butt Lift a few months ago and haven't started the program yet. So maybe I'll just run 2-3 miles on the treadmill and supplement my work-out with some Brazil Butt Lift. ;)

Paula said... [Reply]

Thank you for the background info on your winter runs!
I was lucky to pause due to a hurting back after lifting a chest of drawers in the living room becaue the air is really bad these days. Smog that can cause asthma ... I wait until the weather changes (It has not rained in 4 weeks and the sky has covered with a heavy blanket of fog for weeks). The healthy limits for fine dust concentration have been exeeded ... not fun!

Karen M said... [Reply]

I did a google search for fennel bulb and celery root stuffing, and found your blog. My husband has cooked with fennel bulb a few times, and there is something about the flavor that is so comfort foody. I wanted to try it this year for Thanksgiving. We have the walnuts, apples, and fresh herbs growing on our farm. So it was perfect. Everyone loved it. I'd definitely make this again next Thanksgiving, maybe even sooner. So glad I found the recipe on your blog. :o)

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Karen M Thanks for visiting my blog! I'm delighted to hear that you tried the stuffing and enjoyed it. It's always nice to receive feedback on my recipes. I hope you stop by Stranded in Cleveland again soon!