Cauliflower with Parsley-Caper Vinaigrette | Recipe | Cauliflower Salad

The first time I made this dish ended up being a disaster - literally.  I had made this salad in the morning letting it marinate and pick up the fabulous flavors on the parsley and capers during the day.  I was so excited as I pulled it out of the fridge later that night, ready to dig in.  And I watched, in slow-motion,  as the bowl went catapulting out of my hands, cauliflower flying through the air, hitting the walls, floors, refrigerator, and cringed at the loud crash of my glass bowl.

I didn't know what to be most upset about: 1) my broken glass bowl, 2) having to clean up the entire kitchen since it seemed that the cauliflower and oil hit every possible surface or 3) I wasn't able to eat the cauliflower.

Can you guess which one I picked?  3) I couldn't eat the cauliflower.  I know what you're thinking.  Who likes cauliflower so much that they'd be more upset about not eating it than washing the entire kitchen?  But until you've tasted the parsley-caper vinaigrette, it's hard to understand.

The original recipe calls for 1/2 c olive oil, but I feel that's way too much for this salad.  I used a 1/4 c and that works perfectly fine for me.  For those of you who don't like anchovies, I promise that you won't be able to detect the anchovy paste at all.  But it is a vital ingredient in the recipe, so please don't omit it. 

And just remember - when you pull it out of your fridge, grip your bowl!

Cauliflower with Parsley-Caper Vinaigrette Recipe
Yields: 8-10 servings

1 head cauliflower, trimmed and cut into florets
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp anchovy paste
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 c olive oil
3 Tbsp capers, drained and rinsed
3 Tbsp parsley, finely chopped
salt and pepper

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil; lightly salt.  Add cauliflower to boiling water and cook until tender-crisp, about 5 minutes.  Drain and rinse under cold water.  Spread cauliflower on paper towels and allow to dry and cool completely.
2. Whisk together vinegar, anchovy paste and garlic in a small bowl.  Slowly whisk in oil.  Stir in capers and parsley.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Combine dressing and cauliflower.  Toss well.  Cover and refrigerate four at least 1 hour and over-night..  Serve chilled or room temperature.

MAKE-AHEAD TIP: Can be made one day in advance.

Source: Rick Rodger's Autumn Gatherings

6 comments:

Hines-Sight said... [Reply]

Yum! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Gina said... [Reply]

Wow you have quite the menu ready to go this year. I think I'd of been more upset about the bowl or both, I hate when that happens. Just wanted to wish you and your family Happy Thanksgiving.
-Gina-

Karen M said... [Reply]

That's very similar to a cauliflower dish we make from a Biba Italian cookbook. The Biba recipe uses olives instead of capers, though. And no anchovy paste. Will have to try this one some time.

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Karen M My mom makes that Biba recipe often. It's so good, isn't it? Thanks for reminding me about that one. I'll have to make it soon.

Tracy Wood said... [Reply]

Ugh! What a mess to clean up! My worst kitchen mess was banana cream pie, which I dropped an it spattered underneath my fridge and oven.... ah, yes.

Mamma said... [Reply]

Got to try this recipe. Love all the ingredients. I should have thought of them myself!