Cranberry, Ginger and Lemon Chutney | Recipe | Lemon and Ginger Cranberry Sauce

There's a debate in the Stranded household over what's better: canned cranberry sauce or homemade cranberry sauce.  The thought of canned cranberry sauce makes me throw up in my mouth a little.  I can't think of anything I'd pass over more quickly on Thanksgiving than canned cranberry sauce. Well, maybe canned gravy.  But Mr. S claims he could eat an entire can of cranberry sauce himself.

I much prefer homemade cranberry sauce, although I suppose a more accurate description would be cranberry chutney.  By now, you already know that my family loves lemons - from my mom, to brothers, to nieces who eat them like oranges.  And we all like ginger.  So this Rick Rodgers' Cranberry, Ginger and Lemon Chutney was right up our alley!  Even Mr. Stranded likes this one (but still wouldn't admit he liked it better than canned even though he ate a healthy portion.)

What do you and your family prefer?  Canned or homemade?

A little piece of advice - I've made this chutney recipe a number of times and a few weeks ago I decided to cut the sugar amount in half in an attempt to make it a little healthier.  Unless you like things really tart, I suggest including the full sugar amount.  For the amount of cranberry sauce most people eat on Thanksgiving, I hardly think Cranberry Sauce is the biggest offender of calories.  So go ahead - enjoy the sweetness!

It tastes better when made in advance.  According to Rick, this can be made two weeks in advance, although I typically make it the Sunday prior to Thanksgiving.  It's nice getting something done and out of the way so early in the week! 

Cranberry, Ginger, and Lemon Chutney
Yields: 3 c

1 medium lemon
12-oz bag cranberries
2 c sugar
1/8 c minced crystallized ginger
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 small jalapeno, seeded and minced
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp salt

1. Using a grater, zest lemon into a medium pot.  Using a small, sharp pairing knife, cut away and discard thick white pith.  Cut the lemon in half horizontally and pick out seeds with the tip of the knife.  Dice the lemon into 1/4" pieces and place in pot.
2. Add remaining ingredients into pot and bring to a boil over Medium heat, stirring occasionally.  Once sugar has dissolved, reduce heat to Low and simmer until the sauce is thick and the cranberries burst, about 10-15 minutes.  Cool completely.
3. Remove cinnamon stick just before serving. 

MAKE-AHEAD TIP:  Chutney can be prepared up to 2 weeks in advance.  Store in an air-tight container and refrigerate.


Source: Rick Rodger's Thanksgiving 101

3 comments:

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said... [Reply]

Yum! This sounds incredible. I am a huge fan of chutney and love to make all varieties. This combination is new to me, so I'm going to try it. I know it will be wonderful.

Angie's Recipes said... [Reply]

Definitely homemade! The sauce looks lovely.

Tracy Wood said... [Reply]

Can we still be blogging 'friends' if I admit that I kinda prefer the canned whole berry cranberry sauce??? Of course, on Thanksgiving, I make fresh, but for convenience, it's canned for me! (I'm bookmarking this one for sure, though!)