Green Beans with Wild Mushrooms and Walnuts | Recipe | Savory Green Beans

By now you know I grew up in a large family.  My brothers, cousins and I played together constantly and were always important to one another.  There were five of us who were all, more-or-less, around the same age, separated by about a year or two from one cousin to the next.  We called ourselves "The Fab Five" and to this day, play a large role in each other's lives. 

This past weekend, my cousin Colin (seven months my elder) married a beautiful woman who is as special as he is.  Their wedding was a fabulous event and it was truly a fantastic five days of being with friends and family.  Congratulations, guys!  We couldn't be happier for you.  K - welcome to the family!

After five days of partying, my brain can't think of a clever connection between Colin's wedding and green beans.  So I'll just tell you that these beans are packed full with flavor.  I found this recipe at Williams-Sonoma which originally called for browned butter.   I wanted to make it a little healthier and used olive oil instead.  It still tastes incredible and has a nice contract of flavors and textures.   Make sure you rinse the cooked beans under cold water to maintain the bright green color.

Green Beans with Wild Mushrooms and Walnuts Recipe
Yields: 8-12 servings

2 lbs green beans, trimmed
2 Tbsp olive oil
8 shallots, thinly sliced
8 oz wild mushrooms, coarsely chopped
3/4 c chopped walnuts, toasted
salt and pepper

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.  Generously add salt to the water.  Add green beans and cook until tender-crisp, about 5-7 minutes.  Drain and rinse under cold water.
2. In the meantime, heat oil in a large skillet over Medium heat.  Add the shallots and cook until tender, about 6 minutes.  Add mushrooms and 1 tsp salt to release the mushrooms' water.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes.  Season with pepper, to taste. 
3. Add green beans and toasted walnuts to the skillet.  Cook until heated through.

MAKE-AHEAD TIP: Green Beans can be prepared, minus the walnuts, one day in advance and stored in the refrigerator.  Walnuts can be toasted one-week in advance and stored in an air-tight container at room temperature.  Combine green beans and walnuts just before reheating.


Source: adapted from Williams-Sonoma

1 comments:

Adrienne said... [Reply]

I will make these for Thanksgiving...they are much healthier than that weird green bean casserole that I always make with that gross soup and the fried onion thingys (don't get me wrong, I love that casserole, but yuck on the ingredients).

And I will make it when it's not TG because it is low carb...like me!

xoxo, A