Heritage Greens Salad and Fried Shallots | Recipe | Simple Salad with Fried Shallots

Don't let the simplicity of this salad fool you.  It only has three ingredients aside from the dressing: greens, fried shallots and cheese, but the fried shallots are special enough that you don't want to overpower the flavor with anything else, hence the simple vinaigrette.

But just like the croutons in the Butternut Squash Soup, don't scrimp on the shallots!  They're what makes this salad special.  You'll let out a "Mmmm..." with each bite.  My preference for this salad is goat cheese, but any soft crumbled cheese should work.  Try to choose a milder leaf, such as heritage greens or mesclun mix.  In a pinch, Spring greens should work well too, but avoid spinach if you can.

Heritage Greens Salad with Fried Shallots
Yields: 8-12 servings 

vegetable oil, for frying
7-10 large shallots, thinly sliced
1 lb heritage greens
4 oz crumbled soft cheese, such as goat cheese, blue cheese or feta
approx 1/4 c Balsamic Vinaigrette (below)

1. Pour a 1/4" of vegetable oil into a large frying pan.  Heat over High heat until shimmering.  Lower heat to Medium.  Add sliced shallots, stirring occasionally, until crispy and browned, approximately 3 minutes.  Depending on the size of your frying pan, work in batches if needed.  Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel.  Let cool.
2. In a large salad bowl, combine fried shallots, salad greens, cheese and vinaigrette.  Toss well to combine. 

Basic Balsamic Vinaigrette Recipe
Yields: approx 3/4 c vinaigrette

1/4 c balsamic vinegar
3 Tbsp water
1/2 c Extra Virgin olive oil

1. Whisk together ingredients until well blended.

Dressing will last up to 4 weeks refrigerated.  Ingredients may seperate with refrigerated.  let stand at room temperature for 1 hour or run under warm water and then shake just before serving.

MAKE-AHEAD TIP: Shallots can be fried and stored in an air-tight container at room temperature overnight.  Dressing can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator.

10 comments:

Adrienne said... [Reply]

Yay! Another low carb dish from you.

I have never fried a shallot before. Sounds tasty! I will have to give this salad a try. We eat salads nearly every night with dinner. After a while they get pretty boring. This one looks like it will mix things up around here! xo

Hines-Sight said... [Reply]

You have made me so hungry lately.

You are a fantastic cook.

Thanks for your comment today, and I'm glad that you are able to comment again.

I'm still having issues with it though.

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Adrienne We eat salad every night too. Right now, I'm on a Spring greens, craisins, toasted walnuts and goat cheese kick. Mr. S doesn't like goat cheese, so I have to put my in separately, but I think a little goat cheese makes the salad.

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Hines-Sight It's been hit or miss lately, but I'm glad it's worked the past two days!

Gina said... [Reply]

Your killing me with all your yummy Thanksgiving food, I can't wait for the big day. I'm going to make some crispy shallots for my green beans, could throw some on a salad too. I was laughing at your stuffing post, I like to walk on the bacteria side and stuff the turkey, he he.
-Gina-

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Gina Your turkey, brie and cranberry sandwich was pretty awesome too!

Mr. S gave me a long lecture on poultry bacteria and now I'm neurotic about it. No fun living with a dr. He takes the fun out of cooking sometimes! I can never tell him something has raw egg, like hollandaise sauce, because then he won't eat it and tells me to throw it out. So now I just omit telling him "raw egg" when he asks how I made something ;)

annie said... [Reply]

Salad with crispy shallots...YUM! I think shallots make anything better, but crispy...why have I never thought of that? Dinner tonight!

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@annie I agree! Shallots make just about anything better. I hope you like it!

Two Years in Paris said... [Reply]

Hey V,

The link to the sqush soup from the heritage salad recipe is broken.

MT

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Two Years in Paris Thanks for letting me know. It's fixed now! Hope you enjoyed your Thanksgiving in Paris. We missed you!! xoxo, V