Leaf Crisps | Recipe | Baked Parmesan Crisps

I have this dilemma every time I host a dinner party.  I want to put out a number of hors d'oeuvres, but I don't want my guests to fill up on them.  Do you worry about these things as well?  Or am I the only crazy nut losing sleep over this?

So what I do is serve a variety of hors d'oevres, some more substantial and filling than others.  That way, there is still a selection of hors d'oeuvres to chose from, but if guests were to try each one, there should still be room for the main meal.  These leaf crisps are perfect for just that.  It offers additional options for your guests, but even if they were to eat the entire bowl, they'd still be room for dinner.

The way these little crisps taste reminds me of goldfish, but for adults.  It has the right combination of spices and cheese.  The most time consuming part is cutting out each leaf.  If you have kids or a willing spouse, rope them in to help!  It makes for a fun activity.  Be sure to use a metal cookie cutter.  It can cut through multiple wonton wrappers at the same time as opposed to pie cutters that can only cut through one at a time.  Trust me - I know from experience!

I serve these in a bowl and there's never any left-over, but I think these would also look nice on a salad.  Just a thought...


Baked Leaf Crisps Recipe
Yields: 48 crisps (depending on size of cookie cutter)

1 c grated Parmesan cheese
2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
1 package wonton wrapper
4 Tbsp olive oil
salt

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Stir cheese and herbs in a bowl.  Set aside.
2. Stack 2-3 wrappers; cut leaf shape with cookie cutter.  Place on a baking sheet (lined with Silpat if you have one.)  Repeat with remaining wrappers.
3. Brush each leaf with olive oil, then sprinkle with cheese mixture.  Season with salt.  Bake 5-8 minutes or until golden and crispy.  Let cool.

MAKE-AHEAD TIP: Crisps can be made 3 days in advance and stored in an air-tight container at room temperature.

3 comments:

Adrienne said... [Reply]

What a clever idea! I'll have to print this one out for future parties.
I worry about people pigging out on appies too. These look light and not filling.

Happy Saturday, my friend!

Angie's Recipes said... [Reply]

That's a fun and creative idea! Would be great to enjoy those with a glass of wine ;-)

Hines-Sight said... [Reply]

Looks great!