Mashed Potatoes with Mascarpone and Roasted Garlic | Recipe | Smooth Garlic Mased Potatoes

I'm telling you - my brain is fried these days.  This has been my first full week at home without traveling in four weeks.  But I'm off again next week, so I'm trying not to get too comfortable!  But back to my brain being fried...I realized after I took the photos and ate the mashed potatoes that I photographed off-white mashed potatoes against an off-white tablecloth.  And I probably should have photographed it after I had taken a scoop.  Not that my photos are ever great....but this one is particularly bland.

But I can promise you that these mashed potatoes are anything but bland!  Last month, I shared with you my mom's mashed potatoes recipe.  I absolutely love those potatoes, but when I host my parents for dinner, I prefer to cook my own recipes for fear of being compared to my mom's cooking.  Afterall, she is the ultimate chef!

As I'm sure many of you readers do, I read cookbooks like novels.  I can cuddle-up on the coach with a cookbook and a glass of wine, and spend the entire night happily flipping through it.  A couple of year ago, I sat down with Rick Rodgers' Autumn Gatherings.  It's a lovely, little cookbook filled with easy, delicious recipes perfect for the season.  I decided to give the Mashed Potatoes with Mascarpone and Roasted Garlic recipe a try and am glad I did!  It's become my "Thanksgiving" mashed potatoes.  The combination of the caramelized roasted garlic and delicate Mascarpone makes the potatoes luxurious.  Be sure to let the cheese sit at room temperature for at least an hour before adding otherwise your potatoes will clump.

Mashed Potatoes with Mascarpone and Roasted Garlic Recipe
Yields: 8-10 servings

1 large head garlic
olive oil
3 lbs baking potatoes, such as Russet
8 oz mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
salt and pepper

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Cut the top from the garlic head to make a lid.  Drizzle bottom half with oil and season with a pinch of salt and pepper.  Replace the lid to return the garlic to its original shape.  Wrap the head in foil and place on a baking sheet.  Bake for 40 minutes, or until tender and golden.  Let cool.
2. Remove mascarpone from the refrigerator and allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.  Cook potatoes in a pressure cooker for 20 minutes.  Use the quick release method to release steam.  Allow to cool slightly.  Peel and pass through a potato ricer into a large mixing bowl.
3. Squeeze the roasted garlic from the hulls inot the potatoes.  Add the mascarpone.  Using an electric mixer, beat on High speed until smooth.  Season with salt and pepper.
4. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve hot.

MAKE-AHEAD TIP: Garlic can be roasted up to one week in advance.  Do not squeeze from hulls until ready to use and keep it wrapped in foil.  Store in an air-tight container and refrigerate until ready to use. 

Mashed potatoes can be made one day in advance.  Cover well with plastic wrap and refrigerate.  Return to room temperature before reheating.  Place in an oven preheated to 375 degrees F and bake until potatoes are heated through, about 30-40 minutes.  Add warm milk or more Mascarpone if potatoes seem a bit dry.


Source: Rick Rodgers' Autumn Gatherings

4 comments:

Sara Louise said... [Reply]

Yes, I love to cuddle up with a glass of wine and a cookbook too! There's something about reading about food that I just love!

Tracy Wood said... [Reply]

I love reading cookbooks also. Your potatoes look great - I have never added roasted garlic to my potatoes, probably because I love them plain with real butter so much.

annie said... [Reply]

I've never added Mascarpone...but YUM! I love mashed potatoes just about any way you make them...so long as they are smooth.

Hines-Sight said... [Reply]

You are on a roll with your recipes.