My Mother-in-Law's Pumpkin Cheesecake | Recipe | Quick & Easy

The other day, I shared with you my mother-in-law's delcious Pumpkin Chiffon Pie recipe.  I mentioned in that post that she also makes a killer pumpkin cheesecake and pumpkin pie.  Mr. Stranded really seems to enjoy the pumpkin cheesecake, while the pumpkin chiffon pie is my favorite.  I've been known to make Mr. Stranded some of his favorite dishes whenever I'm feeling guilty for having been away from home for extended periods of time on business.  After my latest five week stint of traveling, I came home and baked him his mom's Pumpkin Cheesecake.

I make my own graham cracker crust and push the crumbs up the sides of a Springform pan.  But you don't need to do this.  You can buy a premade graham cracker crust or just push the graham cracker crust into the bottom of the pan.  If you do choose to make the graham cracker crust sides as well, be sure that you create a thick wall without any cracks otherwise it will fall apart.  I push my graham cracker side wall about half to three-quarters of the way up the Springform and then knocked off any wall that's higher than the pie filling after it's baked and out of the Springform.  Don't worry if some of the crumbs fall on the cake.

I simply decorate the top of the cheesecake with butter-toasted pecans and graham cracker crumbs, but it's not necessary.  It tastes great with or without the pecans!
My Mother-in-Law's Pumpkin Cheesecake Recipe
Yields: one 9-inch pie


Graham Crack Crust
1-1/4 c graham cracker crumbs + more for garnish
5 Tbsp butter, melted
3 Tbsp sugar


Pumpkin Mixture
1/2 c canned pumpkin
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
dash ground cloves
dash nutmeg


Filling
2 8-oz packages cream cheese, softened
1/2 c sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs


Topping
1 Tbsp butter
8 pecan halves


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  To make graham cracker crust, mix together graham cracker crumbs, sugar and butter.  Press crumbs on the bottom and half-way up the sides of a 9" Springform pan.  Bake 5 -7 minutes.  Remove from oven.
2. To make pumpkin mixture, mix together pumpkin through nutmeg.  Set aside.
3. To make the filling, mix together cream cheese, sugar and vanilla using an electric mixer on Medium speed until well blended.  Add eggs and pumpkin mixture.  Blend on Medium speed until creamy.  
4. Pour filling into crust.  Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes or until center is almost set.  Cool completely.  Refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight.
5. In a small pan, melt butter over Medium-High heat.  Add pecans and stir until toasted.  Let cool.
6. Sprinkle remaining graham cracker crumbs over top of cheesecake.  Arrange toasted pecans around the perimeter of the cheesecake.  Remove from Springform pan and serve.


MAKE-AHEAD TIP: Cheesecake can be made one month in advance and frozen.  Wrap extremely well with plastic wrap before freezing.  Place in the refrigerator 24-48 hours before serving to defrost.  Pecans can be made a few days in advance and stored in an airtight container.


2 comments:

Hines-Sight said... [Reply]

Looks delicious.

Miss T said... [Reply]

There's an American shop here that sells pop tarts and cinnamon flavoured everything. And something that sounds truly wrong - 'Clamato". I wonder if they have graham crackers...I'm totally getting my stars and stripes on this year and making a sweet pumpkin dessert. Maybe this is it...
T xx