Pumpkin Chiffon Pie | Recipe | Light and Fluffy Pumpkin Pie

I've never been much of a pumpkin girl.  But my mother-in-law makes three outstanding pies that I never miss!  Each Thanksgiving, Mr. Stranded's mom makes Pumpkin Pie, Pumpkin Cheesecake and Pumpkin Chiffon Pie.  Her pumpkin chiffon pie is so good, that my sister-in-law and I were chatting about in a few weeks ago and we both agreed it's our favorite!

What makes pumpkin chiffon pie so special?  It's light, fluffy and you can feel the air pockets bursting in your mouth with each bite.  And after a decadent Thanksgiving dinner, sometimes you want just a little something that won't weigh you down.

Last night we were invited to our friends, A & A's house, to meet their new, beautiful baby twin boys.  I had offered to bring dessert, so after the Half-Marathon, I whipped up a pie.  I had purchased a pre-made pie crust that came in a pack of two.  With the second crust, I cut out the leaf decorations.  So simple!  I was chatting with my mom while baking the leaf decorations and forgot to check on them - whoops!  They were a little more well-done than usual, but I didn't have any extra dough to remake them. 

The recipe below makes enough filling to fill two pie crusts.  Chiffon pies freeze well for a month, so eat one now and save one for later!

Pumpkin Chiffon Pie Recipe
Yields: one 9" pie

3 eggs (yolks and whites separated)
3/4 c brown sugar
1-1/2 c canned pumpkin
1/2 c milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 packet unflavored gelatin
1/4 c cold water
1/4 c white sugar
9" pie crust, baked and cooled
dough scraps for decorations (optional)

1. Beat egg yolks.  Add brown sugar through nutmeg; stir to combine.  Cook in a double-broiler, stirring constantly until thick, about 10-15 minutes.  Remove from heat.  Mix together gelatin and cold water.  Stir into hot pumpkin mixture.  Let cool.
2. Bring egg whites to room temperature.  Place in the bowl of a stand mixer and add a pinch of salt.  Fit stand mixture with balloon whisk.  Beat for one minute on Medium-Low speed.  Increase speed to High and beat for an additional three minutes to form medium-stiff peaks.  Add 1/4 sugar and beat on High speed for an additional 15 seconds.
3. Carefully fold egg whites into pumpkin mixture.  Scoop into baked pie crust.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.  Serve with whip cream.
4. (OPTIONAL) If you would like to decorate your pie, use leaf pie-cutters to cut out dough.  Place on a cookie sheet.  Brush with egg wash (1 egg beat with 1 Tbsp water).  Bake in a pre-heated 400 degree F oven for 3-5 minutes until lightly golden.

MAKE-AHEAD TIP: Cover with plastic wrap and place in freezer until set.  Then wrap in aluminum foil keep frozen for up to one month.  Remove from freezer and let sit at room temperature at least 1 hour prior to serving or defrost in refrigerator overnight.

10 comments:

Tracy Wood said... [Reply]

What a beautiful pie! Those leaves are so pretty! I am going to try this!

Hines-Sight said... [Reply]

The pie is lovely.

Miss T said... [Reply]

well, we dont do thanksgiving - I guess its Australia day? and canned pumpkin is like buying canned roosters teeth. But I found MASSIVE tins of the stuff today at David Jones so I am totally doing this! I agree with Tracy - the leaves are gorgeous!

Sara said... [Reply]

Wow these looks seriously amazing, I’m drooling all over the screen here, I have to tray this receipt ASAP, I bet it taste as good at it looks, it doesn’t seem so complicated to prepare, I will give it a tray! You have a lovely blog and I am a new follower! Hope you will like my blog and follow back!

Pop Culture&Fashion Magic

Paula said... [Reply]

boohoo, I live in a country where canned pumpkin is not available.

I could bake the pie from the scratch, cooking and pureeing the pumpkin firsthand of course.

The leaves make a big difference! Should try this, too!

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Tracy Wood I assure you it tastes as good as it looks!

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Hines-Sight Thanks! It's easy too :)

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Miss T I had never used canned pumpkin before either, but it's a part of my MIL's recipe, so I didn't question it. I hope you do try it!

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Sara Thank you for following! I'll check out your blog soon.

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Paula I hope you do! I'm sure you could cook and puree an actual pumpkin. Will take a little longer, but I'm sure it will make the pie taste even better!